Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Work on the Back Fence Started Today

Owen & his crew strung the bottom line of barbed wire about noon today to mark the location of the fence. It is about a foot further to the east than I thought it was. Which means when Moses put in the rock wall & chain link fence back in 1965 or so, it was not exactly on the property line. Fortunately for Dena he built it inside the property line so it can remain untouched. 

Looking northerly along the new fence line location.

I spent the day cleaning up the laʻi that had been cut down along the property line. I had roughly sorted them by length (tall, medium, short) so that I could have various heights as I replant them along the fences. Today I removed all the leaves except for the central growing tip. I sorted the leaves into dry, half-dry, and green; I bundle leaves of similar moisture levels so the bundles dry evenly. I have so many I will probably make bundles of 25 rather than the usual 10 leaves per bundle that I have been doing. 

Bananas (foreground), laʻi (background).
Sorted laʻi leaves.

Moʻo was happy that there were people in the back yard with her. I also gave her a little training on what I expect of her in terms of letting me know someone is out back. I reward her for letting me know people have arrived but discourage her from continually barking if they are not in the yard and minding their own business (like building the fence). I also discovered that she likes to chase the shadows of the butterflies as they fly overhead!

This morning, when I went to turn on the water so I could water the bananas, I discovered that Frank had done a little weed whacking by the entrance to the path through the anthurium garden! I had not asked him to do that. Mahalo nui Frank!


I also checked on the dragonfruit. They are ripening nicely!

All 4 are visible in this photo.

The low pressure disturbance is now about 600 miles southeast of Hilo; it is moving westerly at about 10 mph. It is still expected to have a 10% chance of becoming a more organized tropical depression over the next 7 days.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Alan, Kathy, & Stacey!

No comments:

Post a Comment