Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Kona Bound


I drafted a lot of this post while sitting at the airport waiting to board. It was a good thing I was early, I forgot to give Dad's photo ID & medical card to Curtis before he dropped me off. Fortunately he remembered and I was at least an hour away from boarding my plane when he called about it. I headed back out and handed it off to him when he drove up to the Departures lane. The TSA guy in the Pre-check lane recognized me when I went back through again.
This is a better time of day to be active.

I went to meet up with my friend Jody and her friends Ron & Joy who have a time-share condo in Kona. I'm staying with them tonight, then tomorrow I will take them on a tour of the north end of the island! It should be fun and a lot more relaxing than today. I started out by going to Verizon to get my hot spot turned on again since there is no wi-fi at the house. But I arrived too early, they weren't open for another 15 minutes. So I went for a walk around the mall; I think I will look in to walking at Kahala Mall as an option to my early morning walks around the neighborhood. It is indoors so heat (or rain) will be no excuse for not walking. Plus its level and I don't have to look out for cars. One down side is that I can't be looking for Momo while I am walking. Another down side will be impulse buying, kinda like I did today. I got some omiyage for Jody, Ron, & Joy from Minamoto Kitchoan.

Then I went to Kaiser for my physical therapy appointment and to pick up my new contacts; both the contacts and glasses arrived a lot sooner than they said they would. While I was there I noticed that they had added earthquake-resistance hardware to cubicle walls and a shelving unit in the PT area. I guess its better than nothing.
The cubicle wall is attached to the ceiling on the left; the shelving is attached to the cubicle walls on the right.

On the way to Kaiser I crossed paths with another lousy driver! This time in a Mercedes. Again I noticed the driver on the freeway; the driver signaled to move to the right lane, then straddled the line between both lanes for a while until getting off at the Lunalilo Street exit that I was also taking. It was an elderly woman driving and she seemed to be confused as to where she was going. As she got off the freeway she moved to the right lane, then as I was coming alongside her she began to drift into my lane, so I slowed down to give her space. She ended up straddling the line again and stopped that way when the signal light changed. Further down the lane splits in 2 with the one on the left going to the post office; she got in to that lane. At the turn where both her lane & my lane go left, she swung wide and came in to my lane. But I was prepared for that and left enough room so she could do that without hitting me. Then she headed back to the left lane, then the right lane (that I was in). At the stop she had her signal on to turn but went straight. Then just before Beretania Street she signaled to move to the left lane and was doing so until she changed her mind and made a right turn on to Beretania! I was glad she was no longer going in my direction.
Mercedes driver not quite sure what lane she wants to be in.

I had a meeting with Harold at HG Capital right after physical therapy. It was supposed to be a short meeting but it ended stretching to 2 hours! I learned a lot. He helped me with an application for life insurance that provides long term care if it is needed. But if its not then its like a normal life insurance policy. Mom had a long term care insurance policy but never used it because it only covered care in a facility and she did not want to go to one (and didn't need to). But even though she didn't use it there was no pay out to beneficiaries (since there were none for that type of policy). This policy with Harold is different; if I don't use it for paying for long-term care, there will be a pay out to the beneficiaries.

Harold also helped me apply for a home equity line of credit. He said I should do it now and have it available if I need it. He also said to do it now then do the credit freeze because of the Equifax breach. I applied through Hawaii Community Federal Credit Union since that is the one near the house. Even though the interest rate is higher than Harold would like to see it, I told him I did not mind since I want to support financial institutions that do business in the community that I live in.

Xander will be spending the next few days at the Cat Clinic boarding facility. Which is upstairs from the clinic itself. That way no one else has to stick him twice a day with his insulin. I was concerned that Shiro would have to also be there so that he would get his new medication properly. But Dr. Dean called this morning and said all his blood work came back normal so he wouldn't need any meds. His thyroid levels were back down and his kidney levels were also normal. Dr. Dean thinks perhaps his weight loss was due to him being on the low protein kidney diet when he didn't need to be on it. So he is back on a normal diet; I have him back on the Royal Canin Siamese diet, which he likes much better than the Hill's k/d diet.

Happy Birthday to Maria!

No comments:

Post a Comment