Friday, October 27, 2017

WARNING! Ticks!

WARNING! There will be photos of ticks later in this post. I know for some people the ticks will be worse than the blood photos that I have posted before. So I will start with food. And give you another warning before the tick photos.

I feed Dad things he likes and that he can "chew" well enough to eat. For my meals I search through the freezer for leftovers that Dad can't or won't eat. There is one shelf in the freezer that has items for Sarah (vegetarian) & David (gluten-free). I checked the "Best by" dates and found that the vegetarian burritos from Sweet Earth Natural Foods needed to be eaten; one had a "Best by" date of 02/16/2017! I had that Curry Tiger Burrito for lunch today.


The flavor was a little mild, but that might be because it is 8 months past the "Best by" date; the oils in many spices and herbs lose their flavor when frozen too long. The tortilla broke up a little after being heated, again I think that was because of its age. The color of the peas in the filling did not match the photo on the wrapper; that's par for most frozen vegetables. Overall, I would try this again but make sure I eat it before the "Best by" date.


I got a call from Sam this afternoon. She is the wildlife rehab manager that will be leading the Hawai'i Wildlife Center's O'ahu Seabird Response Project that will be starting up in November. She will be staying with us for the 3 weeks of the project; we were discussing living arrangements & how much I can be involved with the project. I am really looking forward to it!

Xander went in for his blood glucose test this morning; he stays for the whole day while they draw blood every couple hours and test his blood glucose levels. His prednisolone dosage was changed a couple weeks ago so they wanted to see if that affected his blood glucose level. But he wouldn't eat last week when he was being boarded so they couldn't test him. Today he was fine. Dr. Belcher said his levels were looking better so he reduced the evening insulin level to 5 units; the morning dose is also 5 units. Dr. Belcher said that Xander's pancreas function levels are now back to normal! So we can continue tapering off the prednisolone but need to watch for his asthma.

I didn't hear any gunshots today. We are probably too far away from where they were filming that Hawaii Five-O episode. I also didn't go past that area today so don't really know what they were doing. I guess I'll just have to watch that January 5th episode to see if I can spot the house they are using; I wonder if it is anyone I know? (I met 4 people who live in that area when I was looking for Momo.)

WARNING! Tick photos at the end of this paragraph! Last night when I went to take a shower I noticed some dark spots along the edge of the shower pan. I looked closer and discovered it was ticks! I was hoping to avoid this. When Curtis & Lori went to Las Vegas, I took care of Pepper; she was here for about 10 days. While she was here they discovered that Salty had ticks, a lot of ticks.
It was wishful thinking that this was all there were.
In just a few minutes I found these 15 ticks. That was enough scary stuff for the night. I used the other shower.

This morning I found more ticks in the part of the shower pan by the toilet. I got a bunch more ticks, now I have a total of 48!
The ticks are the fat, round ones by the door track. The little black ones at the bottom are dead ants.
SCARY! There are 48 now. (And 1 ant.) 

When I went to pick Xander up I talked to Dr. Belcher about the ticks. He said Bravecto is the only topical treatment for cats that works against ticks. I treated Shiro & Chibi as soon as I got home. (And found a tick on Shiro's tail as I was doing it! Fortunately it had not latched on to his skin yet.) I will have to wait until the 18th to treat Xander since he was treated with Advantage when he was boarded. And I will then have to treat them for a year! Dr. Belcher said ticks can hide and survive for up to a year without eating! SCARY!

Happy Birthday to Timothy!

No comments:

Post a Comment