Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Rescuing Jenny & Salty

I was doing my physical therapy this morning when Lori called me from Las Vegas. It appears that Jenny took Salty for his morning walk & got locked out of the house when the caregiver took her parents to the adult day care center. The keypad on the garage door opener was not functioning & Jenny couldn't get in to the house, so she called Lori. Since Curtis left his car at our house his garage door opener was here also, so they called me. I took the door opener over to Jenny as soon as I could, by the time I arrived she & Salty had been outside for about an hour & a half. Salty was tired from pacing back and forth and barking for someone to let him in while they waited for me to show up.


While I was there Jenny & I talked more about Salty. And about Pepper. And also about how Salty & Pepper interact regarding their food. Pepper has been eating about a can each day at our house but not in one sitting; she tends to eat in little bits throughout the day. Apparently she starts out doing the same at home but doesn't get a chance to finish it off because Salty eats her food. So she goes and eats Salty's food. Which isn't good since cats & dogs have different nutritional needs. Cats have higher calorie needs than dogs and also need taurine in their diet to be healthy. Dogs will get too many calories & gain weight if they eat cat food.

When I got back I got Shiro's old WonderBowl out and started checking to see if I could get it to work again so that we could keep Salty from eating Pepper's food. The infrared tag still wasn't working but I couldn't tell for sure whether it was because the battery was dead or something else. So I went to get another battery.

I went to Longs where I had gotten the other batteries for Shiro's tag. The receipt I got with the battery was ridiculous! It was over 4 feet long! The battery and its blister card was only about 3 inches long. I have seen other stores include coupons and ads on their receipts, usually they are printed on the back and only for the portion that matches the printed portion of your receipt. Longs prints theirs on the front, below the information about what you bought. My portion of the receipt for my purchase today was about 11 inches long. It had 12 "coupons" attached to it on the other 41 inches. Of those, 5 expired today, including one for $15 off my next $100 purchase! Of the remaining coupons, 6 expire in a week. The last one expires in about 6 weeks, its a good one, $8 off one of my purchases at Longs.
My 52 & 1/2" long receipt!

I still couldn't get the WonderBowl to work with the new battery. So its the IR tag itself that is the problem; I ordered another one for Pepper. In the meanwhile I have the WonderBowl in the open position and am feeding her out of it to get her used to it holding her food. I also put a collar on her with the old IR tag so she can get used to wearing that also.

I took Dad in for his weigh-in today. He lost about 3/4 pound over the last month. Later Dr. Nakano called & we talked about different ways to increase Dad's calorie intake; the concern is as he loses weight he will begin to get weaker since he would be losing muscle mass. She liked that we let Dad eat as many Nutter Butters as he wants to, she suggested making more snacks available for him. She liked that I have moved the bananas to be closer to where he sits and watches TV; in fact, he just had a banana on his own. I'll have to see what else I can keep around and have easily available for him. We'll check his weight again during his regular November check-up.

I got a message tonight from cousin Baron about the movie "Go For Broke: A 442 Origins Story" by Stacey Hayashi. She will be having a special showing this Sunday for the 442 veterans. I asked Dad and he is interested in going to it! Yay! I hope he follows through; it will be good for him to get out of the house. Brent, Gavin & Anita are extras in the movie. The film will also be shown at the Hawaii International Film Festival on November 12th; you'll be able to get tickets on-line to see it then!

Happy Birthday to my nephew DT! Happy Birthday also to Michele!

No comments:

Post a Comment