Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Another Trip to KOA

But this time it is our turn to get on a plane. The last few hours before we left the house were really hectic; we were doing a lot of the things that would have been done yesterday if we did not have to make a 2nd trip to the airport and sit there waiting. Things like collecting all the blue ginger tubers that Evan dug up a couple days ago & dumping them on the compost pile, putting all the gardening tools away, setting the 50+ anthuriums up for long term watering since I was not able to get any of them planted out over these last few days, cleaning out the extra food in the refrigerator, & changing the sheets in the room Sarah, Evan, & Kaia were in. I left most of the used sheets, pillowcases, & towels to be washed for the next trip; there were a lot of them since I was unable to do laundry yesterday. Arlene showed up at 2 p.m. as we had planned when I 1st arrived 2 weeks ago; we weren't quite ready to go yet. We finally loaded up & headed to Glenn's at about 2:30 pm. We made it to the airport & were at our gate about 45 minutes before we needed to board. If I had stopped to take photos, we would have been later, so no photos of our frantic clean up.

Birdrise was only 4 minutes before sunrise today & once again it was the most peaceful part of the day. Though I did start packing & cleaning up shortly after that. 

Birdrise at 5:50 a.m.

After Kai woke up we made a quick trip in to town to fill up Glenn's Tahoe; because of the size of the Tahoe & the extra trip to the airport I spent about $200 on gas during this trip. The nice thing about the Tahoe is that it has really comfortable seats; we spent 8 of the last 9 hours last night either driving to/from the airport or sitting in the Tahoe waiting for the plane to get airborne. Even with all that my back felt much better than it would have been in a less comfortable vehicle seat.

I apologized to Genevieve, the co-owner of Kohala Grown, about things Sarah might have said or done during the last week. She had already been contacted by Leah from Hawaiʻi Island Retreat & they are working together to determine what is still unopened & unused; they will reimburse Sarah's credit card for those items that can be returned to the shelves. If you can, please help support both Kohala Grown & the Hawaiʻi Island Retreat when you come to visit.  

I wasn't able to talk with Virgil from "the bowl shop" to apologize to him about Sarah's behavior. He wasn't open & wouldn't be for a while; we still had a lot to do to get the house ready for us to leave so I was unable to wait for him to open up. I do have a phone number & will be calling him later.


While I was cleaning up to leave, I discovered this book that Sarah left for me. It did not really make sense why she was giving it to me; it is about couples therapy. So I texted Evan, asking if it was something Sarah needed for the couples therapy sessions they were going through. It turns out that's what it was for; he said they would not be needing it at the moment. I will be sending it back later, when things calm down a bit.


We covered all the beds and the furniture in the living room with the used sheets that I had picked up from Joy at the church bazaar. There are still more things to be covered, like the kitchen table, safe, & appliance shelf; we just ran out of time to do that. In fact, I did not even have time to go to the dump with the garbage, Arlene said she would do that for us so we would not be late for our plane. Hulō for good friends!

Sarah bought a lot of food while she was here; it's one of her behaviors during her manic episodes. Both the refrigerator & the freezer were really full. We gave a full bag of food to Arlene as well as to Jessie. And we gave one of the pineapples to Glenn because we could not freeze any more of it. We also took a lot of the opened snack food back to Honolulu for The Roommates.

We did not see cousin Craig at the airport today. But I guess that is a good thing; last night is the 1st time I have seen security at the Kona Airport. My bag weighed in at 43 pounds, which is quite light for me; it's usually right at 50. I think it was because I had given Kai one of the carriers to place in his suitcase, which, because of the books he had in it, was a tad bit over 50 pounds; but they let it go.


Hawaiian Airlines names their planes after native birds; we were on the ʻIʻiwi. The name plate is located on the bulkhead just inside the door, on the right side. Since I made our reservations at different times, Kai & I were sitting in different parts of the plane. 


The Potential Most Favorite Roommate was supposed to pick us up from the airport. But we got a text yesterday saying he was at the Emergency Room with 2 more kidney stones. He was released this afternoon & was back at the house when we returned; but not really in any condition to be driving all over the place. Curtis picked us up instead.

Keala peed on my chair again! One of The Roommates cleaned it up before I got back, but he told me he found it earlier in the morning. I wonder how she knows what day I am returning?

Forgot to mention that we had gotten a text from Evan in the morning as we were cleaning up; they arrived safely in PA! But not without incident. He said, "Stopped by police while exiting plane. Sarah deployed the oxygen masks in the bathroom. Saw a button labeled test, thought it was a test for her." To which Kai replied, "Soo ... sounds like she failed the test." Evan liked it! I'm glad he can still find some humor in things.

The Aix weather app forecast rain here all day; it did start out rainy but it dry out so we didn't have to move our luggage in the rain. In Honolulu. Aix forecast rain beginning in the evening but we had some as we were landing.


There were 100 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 39,486; this is the 6th day in a row that the new case count has been in the triple digits. There were no new fatalities so the death toll remains at 523; currently there are 1235 cases considered active. There have now been 1,731,897 doses of vaccine administered providing full vaccinations for 59.4% of the population & 66% with at least one dose. The variant information is all that I am providing tonight; I was too tired to get the current information.


No comments:

Post a Comment