Friday, July 2, 2021

Merrie Monarch: Hula Kahiko

Tonight's Merrie Monarch Festival featured hula kahiko, the traditional hula. There were 12 halau, but several halau had both kāne & wāhine groups. The winning halau will be announced tomorrow after the hula ʻauana portion of the festival.


I made a mango proothie this morning, I never got around to picking the lau 'uala this morning. So I peeled the mango from the CSA box that was now ripe; I used half & froze half.


I got an email from Google this morning telling me that an "ad serving limit" has been placed on my blog account. I have no idea why I have been getting these at the rate of about 1 per month for the previous 3 months. I have never asked people to do what they say I am doing; read their email below to find out what it is since I don't want to write it in this post in case they are using an automated program to "find" this evidence that I am doing what they don't want. 


I ran some errands this morning, starting with going to the bank to make some deposits & find out how to change Mom & Dad's trust account to one that does not need a minimum balance. I also made a trip to pick up some groceries.

While I was at Times I picked up a couple pieces of Baked Wild Salmon. I had that and some salad for lunch while watching Lucifer; I think I'm in the middle of Season 3. (I generally watch an episode during lunch.)


I also stopped in at Kokua Market & picked up Chicken Veggie Stew & Brussels Sprouts & Tomato Salad and some other things.


I spoke with Tomiko after lunch; I had told her I was going to try to be there earlier, then she had heard via the family grapevine that I was definitely going to be there. I asked her if she would like me to bring some lei for the wedding; I am thinking pikake for Tomiko, maile for David, white ginger for the moms, & vandas for the hosts. I will start checking with the lei seller that I usually buy lei from.

This morning it was Keala's turn to be in the cat run this morning.


Here's a map of Hawai'i Island showing the approximate locations of the house (asterisk) and the web cams & the approximate direction the cam is pointed in. (The Waikoloa web cam is sometimes pointed westerly & sometimes northerly.) The Waikoloa web cam is the closest to the house but is on the dry side of the island while the house is just on the wet side of the island. The next closest web cam is the Canada-France-Hawai'i Telescope; it is aimed northwesterly & on clear days you can see Haleakala on Maui. Kohala Mountain is towards the right in the CFHT web cam. The Honomu web cam is the next closest; it looks northerly at the weather being blown through the ʻAlenuihāhā Channel. The last Hawaiʻi Island web cam looks out over Hilo Bay.



The Aix weather app forecast partly cloudy skies for Honolulu; I guess it was right. It was partly cloudy but some of those clouds drizzled though not enough for anything to accumulate. On Hawaiʻi Island, it forecast precipitation but not enough to accumulate; that might have been true. For Marysville it forecast a fairly sunny day.

Honolulu at 9:22 a.m. I think this blue car is other Crosstrek hybrid that is owned by lady on Koko Head!
Waikoloa looking westerly at 9:23 a.m.
CFHT looking northwesterly at 9:23 a.m.; Haleakala in distance.
Honomu looking northerly at 9:24 a.m.
HIlo Bay looking northeasterly at 9:24 a.m.
Marysville looking northerly at 9:24 a.m. HST.
Looking southeasterly at drizzle at 12:55 p.m.
Drizzle at 1:23 p.m.
Drizzle at 2:17 p.m.
Honolulu looking westerly at 3:26 p.m.
Waikoloa looking northerly at 3:27 p.m.
CFHT at 3:28 p.m.
Honomu at 3:28 p.m.
Hilo Bay at 3:29 p.m.
Marysville looking southerly at 3:29 p.m. HST.

Today is Canada Day! So the Hawaii Volcano Blog educated people about the volcanoes in Canada! 


There were 79 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases to 37,886. There were no new deaths reported todeay so the death toll remains at 518; currently there are 612 cases considered active. A total of 1,690,038 vaccines have been administered, providing 58.3% of the state population 


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Mrs. Keliikipi & Melia!

No comments:

Post a Comment