Monday, July 5, 2021

Kingyo

I went to Minamoto Kitchoan today to pick up omiyage; it has become my favorite place because it is so easy. And the things there are always presented in a very appealing manner. They wrapped a couple boxes for me but they really didn't need to because they unwrapped boxes are already very nice. One of the most delightful finds today was the Kingyo gift pouch for Kaia; I was hoping they would have the rabbit manju but they did not. So it was the Kingyo. 

This is for Kaia.
Do you think she'll like it?

I had a lau ʻuala proothie this morning. Taping a dessicant pack to the underside of the lid is working really well to keep extra moisture out of the greens container. 


Big Island News had an article about the OuterSpatial app for hikers & hunters. I checked out the information on the Internet, then checked the Google Play app. Unfortunately I have too much on my phone & need to make a choice on what app(s) to delete in order to make more room to upload it.

Hmmmm ... ratings arenʻt that high.

I went and checked out lei for Tomiko today at Le Flowers where we get flowers to take to the cemetery or lei for visitors. They said they can't guarantee what they will have even for the next day. So I will just have to see what is available the day before I get on the plane to go to their wedding.

As I was leaving the parking lot for the lei shop, I stopped to take photos of the loʻi kalo that was across the street. I had seen it a couple days ago as I was going to Kokua Market; I had not noticed it earlier. I think it is fairly new, I can't find it on the 2021 Google base map. The soil also looked like it was recently turned although the plants did not look like they were stressed.


After lunch I packed my suitcase. Or rather, unpacked, then packed it. Whenever I return from a trip I unpack everything, wash whatever needs washing, & put the things away that do not belong in the suitcase; somethings live in the suitcase. Then I start randomly throwing things that I want to go on the next trip if there is enough room; that's what the unpacking is about. I need to sort through everything * figure out what is most needed for the upcoming trip. Those get packed. 

I also checked in for my flight tomorrow. Then I went to the Safe Travels site & it told me I did not need to add any info to my profile since the restrictions for interisland travel had been lifted. Hulō!


Later in the evening I was checking in with Kai about whether he would have a suitcase as checked baggage. He decided, yes, because he need to take back a bunch of omiyage. I also found out from him that the airport shuttles that we used to use for about $30 each is now $200 each! Apparently they are now only doing individual cars and not vans with half a dozen unrelated people. Makes sense.


Today it was S'mores who was out in the cat run when I went by. They all seem to hang out in the cat run at least some time everyday unless its pouring.


The Aix weather app forecast rain in the morning in Honolulu, then partly cloudy until the evening when it would be raining again. It was partially right, there was no precipitation before 8 a.m. but the rest was right including rain in the evening. For Kapaʻau it forecast rain all except for a few hours in the late afternoon to early evening. It forecast Marysville to be partly cloudy all day and that seemed to be accurate.

Kaimukī looking westerly at 8:54 a.m.
Waikoloa looking westerly at 8:55 a.m.

Honomu looking northerly at 8:56 a.m.

Hilo Bay looking northeasterly at 8:57 a.m.
Marysville looking southerly at 8:57 a.m. HST.
Kaimukī looking westerly at 4:14 p.m.
Waikoloa looking northerly at 4:15 p.m

Honomu looking northerly at 4:15 p.m.
Hilo Bay looking northeasterly at 4:16 p.m.
Marysville looking southerly at 4:17 p.m. HST.

I found a site that provides surf information on Hawaiʻi Island. Unfortunately it does not have web cams showing the surf. I have seen quite a few on Oʻahu & a couple on Hawaiʻi Island but none near Kapaʻau; the closest area they provide surf info on is Kawaihae but it has no web cam.


There was a magnitude 5.0 earthquake off the Hāmākua coast today just before 2 pm; it did not generate a tsunami. It was apparently located 20 miles offshore of Waipio Valley & was felt as far away as Kauaʻi.


The state is getting ready for the July 8th travel changes. Though I am not sure how much of an impact it will have on tourist travel; most airports are already seeing more travelers this year than they did in 2019. A big piece of that is because we are about the only place open to Americans right now.


There were 48 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 38,043. There were no new deaths reported so the death toll remains at 518; currently 603 cases are considered active. The 7-day new case average for Oʻahu is 32 with a positivity rate of 1.8%.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Kathy, Gregg, Margaret, & Everett!

No comments:

Post a Comment