Sunday, July 4, 2021

Outdoor 4th of July Gathering

We had a neighborhood barbecue at Curtis & Lori's house this evening. The gathering had both indoor portions as well as outdoor portions. It appeared that we met the guidelines for Tier 4 of the Honolulu Getting Vax Together program. There were a total of 13 people tonight.

The 4th of July spread.
My plate.
The current tier system.

This morning I reread Kohala Kuamoʻo: Naeʻole's Race to Save a King. It is in ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi as well as English. Once again, I surprised myself with how much I was able to understand when I read the ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi text. I think I will read it every year and see how much more I can understand as time goes by.


One of the things I like about Kohala Kuamoʻo is it gives the moʻolelo of the names of the communities along the Kohala coast from Kokoiki to Pololū. Here is the story of Kapaʻau.


While I was in the computer room, I got a phone call from The Potential Most Favorite Roommate. He was in the backyard, on the outside of the computer room. He wanted me to come out to talk about the shelving & cover he wants to put over the back patio for his plants; Dylan was there helping him. Between the 2 of us we were able to help him figure out the most expedient way to put up a cover that could be easily taken down if a hurricane is forecast to come close enough to cause problems; he will also add an irrigation system.

The Potential Most Favorite Roommate sketches his vision.

Yesterday The Potential Most Favorite Roommate brought home some new bonsai that he made as well as 1 that was a gift from his sensei.

The one on right is gift from sensei.
It's sprouting! It was severely trimmed about a month ago.

I made a quick trip to Otto Cake as soon as they opened. I had texted an order for a whole 6" cheesecake on Monday like their Instagram directs; I never got a response back. So I tried calling on Thursday and got a message saying I couldn't leave a message. I decided to get there early so I could get whatever whole cheesecake that was available in case my order was never received. But it was! So I picked up the Chocolate Chip Orange Cheesecake. 


As I was leaving the house, I saw a strange bird walking across the driveway. A closer look revealed it was a Spotted Dove that had somehow lost its tail!


One of the things I need to do tomorrow is prepare Mom's last orchid that she received as a gift & the kupukupu. What am I preparing them for? I am planning to take them to Hawaiʻi Island. To do so I will need to remove the planting material around the roots and wrapping the roots in damp paper towels.


I ended up at #24 on the Duolingo Diamond leader board that I was on for this week.


The Aix weather app forecast precipitation in Honolulu through midafternoon. It was a similar forecast for Kapaʻau but with cloud cover & precipitation without measurable accumulation. Marysville was partly cloudy with no precipitation. I think I might be going a little overboard on the photos from webcams near the site I am looking at. But if you compare the photos to the timeline of the forecast you can get a better idea of what the weather was like.

Kaimukī at 9:50 a.m.
Waikoloa at 9:51 a.m.
CFHT at 9:51 a.m.
Honomu at 9:52 a.m.
Hilo Bay at 9:52 a.m.
Marysville WA at 9:52 a.m. HST.
Not quite measurable precip in Kaimukī at 10:16 a.m.
Kaimukī at 2:49 p.m.
Waikoloa at 2:50 p.m.
CFHT at 2:50 p.m.
Honomu at 2:51 p.m.
Hilo Bay at 2:51 p.m.
Marysville WA at 2:51 p.m. HST
Kaimukī at 4:57 p.m.

There were 62 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 37,995. There were no new deaths reported so the death toll remains at 518; currently 579 cases are considered active. The 7-day new case average for Oʻahu is 30 with a 1.7% positivity rate.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Becky!

No comments:

Post a Comment