Thursday, October 13, 2016

Clean-up Days #3 & #4

Taking a break again from moving stuff to get this posted; using the Kohala Coffee Mill internet again (very slow, will have to find out who their provider is and if there are other options). Every day I make a trip to the Sunshine True Value hardware store in Hawi. Today was no different. Yesterday, however, there was a difference. On the way there I was listening to KNKR LP, 96.1 FM, the local community radio station. The host announced that there was a traffic jam in Hawi! A car was stalled at the main intersection in Hawi. It's the junction where the Kohala Mountain Road (State Route 250) intersects with the Akoni Pule Highway (State Route 270). Apparently the driver was turning right on to Akoni Pule and his car stalled. There were about 5 cars in front of me; things cleared out in about 5 minutes.
Traffic jam in Hawi

Stall on the left blocking the major intersection; Hawaii PD officer (center) directing traffic, locals from the service station lending a hand

Here's what the living room looked like at the end of Day #2; yes, I went back after the break and did a little more work before I went to bed.
Living room Day #2; boxes of books stacked along the wall on the right, front bedroom boxes by the front door

On Day #3 I saw a roach moving slowly across the floor of the front bedroom when I quickly glanced in during the morning. I looked closer and discovered it was not moving on its own, it was the ants!
Ant-powered cockroach

In the evening I did much of the same except I only went to Sunshine True Value and skipped getting on the internet at Kohala Coffee Mill. After the hardware store, I stopped in to see Uncle Kazu to make a lunch date with him. We will go out tomorrow, the timing should work out great since I am almost out of things that I can do without Chris' help. Chris will stop by after work tomorrow to help me set up the beds and move some larger things around.

Here's what things looked like at the end of Day #3.
Kitchen Day #3; note the new feet on the green chair, step stool in background in process of getting new feet
Living Room Day #3; my bike is on the trainer and ready for use!
Front bedroom Day #3; boxes on top & in front of flat file have been moved, bike box is empty
Middle bedroom Day #3; ready for the furniture, some boxes for this room are in the closet to the right
Back bedroom Day #3; yes, there is more stuff in here than on Day #2

I was really feeling like I was accomplishing a lot today! In fact, the front bedroom is almost clear of boxes. Things I moved out of there have been sorted and stacked in a manner that should not create future problems as I get settled in. It's like that kids' 15 Puzzle where you have to arrange 15 numbered tiles consecutively in a frame that has space for 16 tiles. But I don't want to move each box 15 times! I am aiming for 2 or 3 for each that results in the box being emptied (and recycled).

I was doing so well I decided to move the Nordic Track treadmill out to the living room where I intend to use it; albeit one box width away from the wall of books that are awaiting the construction of their new home. I was on a roll, I had found the felt sliders that I picked up before the move, got them situated under the feet of the treadmill, and started moving it towards the door. Oooops! Although I measured the base and found it would have about 3" clearance, I did not realize the handholds extended about 6" beyond the ends of the base! Darn! I will have to wait for Chris to help me with this tomorrow.
Darn! About 3" too wide for the doorway!

Happy Belated Birthday to Kathy & Griffin!

No comments:

Post a Comment