Friday, October 7, 2016

Happy Birthday, Lori!

We celebrated Lori's birthday tonight with dinner, cake, and ice cream. (Her actual birthday was on Wednesday.) Mom kept asking what we were going to Curtis' house for. Neighbors Anita & Gordon and Debbie & Clyde also joined the celebration. Here's the birthday girl with her cake.


The ice cream choices were vanilla with a homemade blackberry syrup that Anita brought, lychee sorbet from 8 1/2 Desserts, and the left over honey ginger ice cream from Brent's birthday last week (also from 8 1/2 Desserts). Debbie also brought filled mochi from Nisshodo Mochiya.
Fillings from top to bottom: azuki an, azuki an, lima bean, coconut, & peanut butter.

Dad did not go to dinner tonight. He was not feeling well. But it was one of those things where he did not have a fever or a stomach ache or sniffles or a cough. He just did not feel like getting out of bed today. I checked up on him several times during the day; the main thing he wanted was water so I made sure he had a lot of that. I also put his eye drops in every time I checked on him so his eyes were looking a lot less red this evening. Just before we left, I checked again and found an amazing thing; Chibi was on the bed with him! Chibi never gets on the bed with anyone, not even me! She was a stray and not used to beds or snuggling up to people. She was more used to people yelling at her and throwing things at her, so it was quite unusual to see her doing this.
Chibi looking alert and ready to dart off at a moments notice!

When we bought Lori's birthday card last week along with Brent's birthday card, we also bought a sympathy card for Aunty Jean's service on Sunday. I attached them all to the calendar on the October page so Mom would not lose them. Today when I went to get Lori's card for her to sign I noticed the card for Aunty Jean was missing; it was there yesterday morning when I put an "X" through Thursday. I asked Mom where it was and she did not even know that there ever was a card, so I went to get another one. While standing in front of the card rack I wondered if she had put the card in with the announcement about Dad's friend Walter's service so she could send it off for him. I found the card she had originally bought for Aunty Jean but decided on another, one that specifically identified it as one for the loss of a father. When I returned I found the first card, Mom did have a thought earlier to send it to Walter's family but later forgot when I asked her. Now we have cards for both of them.

Happy Birthday to Andrea, Russell, Britta, and Kari!

No comments:

Post a Comment