Tuesday, October 4, 2016

The Lure of the Infomercial

Sometimes Mom watches the infomercial channel during the day. I think she is flipping through the channels and something shiny catches her attention. A few weeks ago she bought the H2O Mop X5; it's a steam mop with a bunch of attachments. I used to have a steam cleaner; it was big and cumbersome, took up a lot of space, and killed my back whenever I used it. This one is a lot smaller and lighter and looks a lot more versatile. It arrived a few days ago; she didn't remember buying it.


I tried the X5 out today while Mom was at mahjong. First I used it on the family room carpet, this room probably gets the most use of any in the house. Then I did the linoleum floors in the utility room (where the Cat Genie is located), hallway outside the utility room, and Mom's bathroom. (I don't want her to use it because I am concerned she might burn herself so I decided to try it when she wasn't around.)
Family room before

Family room immediately after

Family room after drying

Although you really can't see much difference between the photos above, the bottom of the microfiber pad shows it pulled up a bunch of stuff. And the carpet feels cleaner when I walk over it. I think with repeat cleanings it will become more apparent.


Here are photos of a specific bunch of spots on the carpet. Not sure what caused them, I just know that one day they were there!
Spots before

Spots after

With these specific spots, it is more apparent that the X5 is removing stuff from the carpet. Again, with repeat use I think I will see more material removed. Overall it appears to work well. Even though the carpet doesn't look much cleaner, when I walk on it my feet can feel a difference. Even the linoleum floors feel cleaner to my feet; they're not as sticky and that's even after Mom mops.

Even though she says she cleans all the time, I have not seen much evidence of it. I think she is remembering a different time when she cleaned a lot. When I returned I started vacuuming the house with the Shark most mornings. It only has a 17-minute run time; it's short but I am able to clean a good amount of floor area. I have noticed each time I use it the load of cat hair is smaller; which indicates to me that vacuuming was not done regularly and frequently enough before. I think I will find the same with the steam mopping. One thing I like about the steam mop is that it has attachments that will allow me to use it to steam clean the sink, shower stall, and toilet in Mom's bathroom so that it is cleaner than it might be with regular cleaning. With Mom's depressed immune system, reducing the amount of microorganisms in places she frequents is a plus. And although the X5 got bad reviews on Amazon, I am hoping it lasts long for us. (If not, I will look in to the Shark version that reviewers liked better.)

While I was at it I also washed the little braided rug in Mom's bathroom, the oval braided rug in the dining room, and the rectangular rug from the middle TV room. The bathroom rug was really gross and smelled like cat pee; Mom can't smell it and thought it was fine. I was concerned the braided rugs might disintegrate in the washing machine; they were made by my paternal grandmother about 40 years ago. They survived and are much better looking (and smelling!) than before. I am pleased. Here's the wash and rinse water. Yuk! I don't think they were ever washed. (To be fair, I did have the X5 mop heads in this load, too, so they are contributing to the yukkiness.)
Wash water
Rinse water

After mahjong the ladies went to the Fairwood Drive Inn for lunch; it's in the Kaimuki Shopping Center where Longs Drugs is also located. It is an interesting place; the front part is the drive-in, the back park is Pho 27 Cafe. Fairwood has Chinese food, Pho 27 is Vietnamese. Mom had the Minute Chicken Cake Noodles, I had the House Special Noodles. They serve it in styrofoam take-out containers, good thing because everyone had about half left!
House Special Noodles

I stopped in at 8 1/2 Desserts again this evening. I picked up a pint of lychee ice cream for Lori's birthday party on Friday. She really likes lychee, so I thought I would try it. (I also picked up a quart of peanut butter ice cream for Dad & me.) I don't know if they have as many flavors as Baskin & Robbins but here's what was in their freezer case today. They now have a You Tube video showing satisfied customers (including me in my grubby work clothes - I forgot about the time and had to run over quickly to get the ice cream for Brent's birthday party).


Tomorrow Mom goes in for a transfusion. It should make her feel better; no more shortness of breath and aches and pains from fatigued muscles. But her itching will probably get worse.

Happy 7th Anniversary to Kari & Brad!

No comments:

Post a Comment