Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Rearrange Bedroom, Check

This morning when I woke up I decided I needed to rearrange my bedroom. The original way this bedroom was set up was with one long edge of the bed against the wall and the head of the bed about 1 foot away from the window wall on the south. Which means when the window is open cold air flows over my head; I also can't easily see the sunrise. I took some measurements this morning & it looked like I could do it. But I would have to move some boxes around to have some space to maneuver the bed around. I did that after I returned from doing things today. And it fit! It will be much easier to make the bed & also vacuum and mop under the bed. (It will be easier to get around the foot of the bed after all the boxes are unpacked.)
East wall, before.
East wall, after. I unwrapped the dresser I brought with me; it needs a lot of work & some TLC.
South wall, before.
South wall, after. Now I can look out the window at the sunrise while lying in bed!
West wall, before.
West wall, after. The bed will be much easier to make now!

I mailed Janice's clothes off to her this morning; she should get them by next Monday, well before she leaves. I picked up a few supplies at Sunshine True Value, then headed to Waimea to meet Shirley for lunch.

I was a little early for lunch so I stopped at the Pu'u Kohola Heiau National Historic Site which is just outside Kawaihae. If you have the time it is worth it to stop & check it out. There is a very good visitor center, trail, & self-guided tour; you can access an audio tour via your Smartphone. I will have to come back & spend more time here. (Marty & the ranger are trying to get me to come & volunteer here.)
There are 3 heiau here, one is in the ocean.
This is the Pu'u Kohola Heiau as seen from the visitor center.
I thought it was really great that several of the signs at the visitor center are all in Hawaiian, which is the other official language of the State.
This is Marty; she's there every Wednesday to teach anyone who is interested in how to weave lauhala.

I met Shirley at the Food Court at the Parker Ranch Center. We had several options for lunch & decided on the Noodle Club. Shirley had the Big Pho King Bone and I had the All Things Pork Ramen. I'll be back for more!

The Big Pho King Bone.
The All Things Pork Ramen.

Shirley was telling me about the 4 farmers markets in Waimea; she had just come from the one at Pukalani Stables, which is also the home of the Paniolo Heritage Center. We stopped by there after lunch. I bought a bag of granola for Curtis. Shirley & Greg live within walking distance of the Parker Ranch Center and the farmers market. She told me about the stores as well as health care services.that are available nearby.


I headed to Kona, to the West Hawai'i Civic Center. My goal was to visit the Building Division of the Public Works Department to find out whether I needed to use double wall construction when I enlarge the sewing room or if I could use single wall construction so that it would look like the original structure. I talked with Roxanne & Owen and found out that if the part that is being added on is no more than 25% of the original valuation, then I can use the same type of construction as the original structure. Winner! I can also do my own plans but it needs to be stamped by an engineer. They said if everything is in order, it takes 3 or 4 weeks for a permit to be issued. Permits for owner-builders are good for 5 years; for a contractor its 3 years.
The Building Division is in Building E on the 1st floor.
I like the wind vane on the gazebo that's in front of Building E.
The restroom has water saver flush feature on the toilet; which is good since Kona always seems to be in a drought.

On the way out of Kona I stopped at Target and picked up 3 more sets of sheets. Each bedroom now has 2 sets of sheets; the front bedroom color scheme is greens, middle bedroom is blues & grays, and the back bedroom is yellows.
An allergy reduction mattress cover and 3 sets of new sheets & pillowcases.

I also stopped by Mrs. Barry's Kona Cookies to pick up omiyage.



Sam ordered 3 kid's playpens to keep injured shearwaters in while they are being cared for during the O'ahu Seabird Response Project. Only one of them arrived today; if they all got shipped at the same time you'd think they'd all arrive at the same time! Auwe!
(Photo by Curtis)

Happy Birthday to Steph!

No comments:

Post a Comment