Saturday, November 25, 2017

Winter Craft Fair

This morning I went to the Hawai'i Okinawa Center's Winter Craft Fair with Lori & Jenny; Curtis dropped us off since parking is very difficult. The center is close to their house. Lori, Jenny, & I split up after making plans to meet back up by the food booth. I picked up a bunch of Christmas presents and some none holiday presents as well.
The Teruyas that the pavilion is named after are the founders of Times Supermarket.

I started at the outdoor booths. I got these microfiber cleaning cloths that attach to the Swiffer, which I have been using in Kohala. With the microfiber cloths I won't have to use the Swiffer chemicals to keep things clean. Since you can also put them over your shoes and shuffle around your floor with them, and I had seen Lori using paper towels to do that this morning before we left the house, I got a pair of purple ones for her. (Like Mom, purple is her favorite color.) Guess what? She also got a pair for herself! Fortunately I let her know I had got some for her; she was thinking about going back & getting another set.
The green ones can slip over your shoes as well as on the Swiffer head.

There was a booth selling dried fruits. I was finally able to find the dried lychee that Kai had asked me to get for him. Since Lori likes lychee, I also got a bag for her. I also got li hing jabon peel and winter ginger.
L to R: li hing jabon peel, dried lychee, & winter ginger.

Inside the pavilion were a lot more booths. I found one that had flour sack dish towels with nice sayings on them. It was difficult to make a selection. They also had 2 gift packages that had a silicone potholder along with a dish towel; I ended up getting one of each.
L: Kaeru lucky frog; R: Year of the Dog.

As faithful readers know, Curtis is a Steelers fan. I found a booth selling different towels including a Steelers towel. After I bought it I texted Lori to let her know; she got one, too! We decided to keep one at each house since he is going back and forth while he watches Dad when I am gone.


One booth had clothing for kids including very young kids like Kaia. I got her this t-shirt.


And I got a t-shirt for Kai in his favorite color, black.
Front.
Back.

I also found some nice refrigerator magnets that will make nice small gifts; they're small enough to fit in an envelope. I also found bookmark clips and shopping bags. I had given these type of bags as omiyage before & people really liked them.
Magnets.
Book clips.
Bags.

We ended our shopping spree by getting andagi, aka Okinanwan doughnuts. I got half a dozen, Lori got 2 dozen for their household.
Here are the andagi that survived to have their photo taken.

Here are more interesting things. These are glass floats used by Japanese fishermen for their nets. Dad would see these while he was out fishing and pick them up. The large one is about 12 inches in diameter & weighs about 10 pounds. Dad used to have it hanging from the corner of the canopy over the patio of the old house. More than once I remember playing tag and running right in to it because I didn't duck low enough. I think all of us ran in to it at least once.


I got an e-mail today from the Neighborhood Security Watch. There is apparently a man going around the neighborhood stealing mangoes; someone was able to get a photo of him. We also got an e-mail about a woman jogger going through people's mailboxes; no one has gotten a photo of her yet. I guess I better have someone replace the motion-sensor garage light before we move all the stuff in the living room out to the garage while they replace the flooring.

Happy Birthday to Eric, Ryan, Kari, & Nicole!

No comments:

Post a Comment