Sunday, November 26, 2017

More Purging & Packing

I spent a bunch of time today cleaning, sorting, & packing things. Unfortunately I was a little distracted and spent time on the dining room also. I worked on the portable cart in the corner that is piled high with stuff. I decided to start with the middle shelf since it had the least stuff on it. I found an unlabelled jar; once opened it smelled & looked like salted lemons. I'm not sure why Mom put a food item on an appliance storage shelf but I think these salted lemons might be a batch from Doreen; if so, it's one of the last she made. I moved the lemons to a more appropriate place.



I found a container of puffed rice cake! Oh wait, that's not really what it was. It's really an immersion blender with some attachments. I'm not really sure why Mom would have an immersion blender, she did not cook much. But now I know there's one in the house and I know where it is if I need one; it is now labelled so anyone else will know what it is without opening the container.



I also found a rice cooker; don't know how old it is but the plastic bag it was in was disintegrating! This rice cooker is a lot better than the one Mom was using when I arrived last year. It looked like the rice cooker was put away without being thoroughly cleaned. I cleaned it up, put a new bag on it, and returned it to the shelf. I'll check out whether it still works on another day.




I also found a juicer; it works & only needed a tiny bit of cleaning. I'm not sure what newer juicers are like; this one has no on/off switch. When you press the fruit down on the juicer part it spins. I am keeping it at the front of the shelf so that I can make fresh-squeezed orange juice when the next crop of oranges ripens! I also found out that you can make pomelo juice; we still have a bunch on the tree so I will try making juice with some of them.


I found a spiralizer; it's still in the box but it has been taped shut so I think it was used at some time. I didn't open it up so I don't know if it also needs a little cleaning or even if it works. The next time a vegetarian or vegan comes to visit we can use it. The spiralizer will also be helpful to provide a non-gluten type of "noodle" for David & other visitors who need gluten-free foods.
This was before it became known as a spiralizer.

After sorting through that one shelf in the dining room I realized that I really needed to be working on things in the living room & hallway so that we would be ready for the flooring project in December. I spent the rest of the time working on the hallway. I concentrated on sorting & purging items in the walking path; I'm leaving the bookshelf clearing to Curtis for next Tuesday. I cleared everything off the 2 little tables near the door. I put them out in the cat run so the kitties have another place to lounge.

Shiro checking out the tables in the cat run.

I found a bag full of rubber bands. That were fused to each other. It went in to the trash can, which is now stuffed because of all the cleaning that Sam has been doing in the bathroom.


I cleared out everything on the floor in the hallway and vacuumed the carpet. It looks really good now! The cats were not quite sure what was going on; this is the first time they have been able to easily walk through the area. There will probably now be some kitties racing down the hallway in the middle of the night! Our plan is to keep the hallway open so that it is easier to wheel Dad to the back door when we need to. (I thought I had a before photo but I can't find it.)
WOW!
Chibi cautiously begins to explore the hallway.
What's that up there?

There is a large green cache pot under the table in the living room. As I was cleaning it out I saw an inscription on the bottom, "Judy 1979". So I called Aunty Judy to see if she had made it. She did! It would really look good in Kohala but there's no easy way for me to safely get it there, so I am returning it to her.
The cache pot has an inner diameter of about 11 inches.

While I was cleaning up the hallway I found one of those styrofoam 'fruit socks'. It was a good fit for one of the glass floats. I realized I could also use some of my old socks to wrap up a couple of the smaller glass floats.



Happy Birthday to Michelle, Gemma, Deisha, & Amy!

1 comment:

  1. These floats used to wash up on Edmonds beach too when I was a child. Nice hallway...

    ReplyDelete