Thursday, November 23, 2017

Thanksgiving Festivities

I started out my eating today with brunch at Anita & Gordon's; they are Curtis & Lori's next door neighbors. (Dad did not want to go; I fed him breakfast before I left.) For many holidays their families get together with Debbie & Clyde's family from across the street to celebrate. This year they had family dinners to go to, so Anita hosted a brunch so they could spend some time together. When Anita hosts a celebration she decorates everything!
Anita's Thanksgiving tree. It changes with the seasons & holidays.
The holiday table.
She even has salt & pepper shakers that fit the theme!
Brunch spread; clockwise from upper left: rice, scrambled eggs, Portuguese sausage, sato shoyu Vienna sausage, bacon, fresh-squeezed orange juice made from Debbie's home-grown oranges, pancakes, scones from Diamond Head Market & Grill with Seahawk cookies, and fruit skewers with black grapes, persimmons, & strawberries.
My plate.

Anita wanted a photo of everyone, so her son Gavin taught her how to do a selfie. 

Clockwise from Anita, Mrs. Nomura, Brent, Jenny, me, Debbie, Gordon, Curtis, Clyde, Lori, Gavin, Shaun, & Mr. Nomura. (Photo by Anita)

Before I left I went to see the new work on Curtis' house since it would be dark when I come back for dinner. After the first 2 weeks of working, they took an 11 week break while they waited for the permits to be issued & after the 1st inspection for the underground plumbing to be completed. Tomorrow they will be pouring the slab on grade concrete floor.  


Traffic on the way there was fairly light. I was surprised that traffic in the evening was just as light.


Dad surprised us all by going to dinner. Yesterday he said he wasn't going, at breakfast he said he wasn't going, & at lunch he said he wasn't going. But as I was getting ready to warm up the rolls, he got up on his own & came out to sit in the family room. I told him as soon as the rolls were ready, we could load up the car & go to Curtis' house. He asked if he had to change his clothes, when I said he could go in the clothes he had on, he said he was ready to go!
Clockwise from lower left: Sweet potatoes, stuffing, kale salad, rice, ham, Kokua Market gluten free vegan pumpkn pie, turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, macaroni salad, & fluffy whole wheat dinner rolls.
My plate.
The creme brulees before going in the oven to caramelize the sugar topping.
The kupuna at dinner; L to R, Dad, Mr. Nomura, & Mrs. Nomura.

Earlier in the week I had heard on the news that the average American eats 4500 calories on Thanksgiving. So I decided to keep track of how many calories I consumed today. According to the Samsung Health app on my phone brunch was about 1100 calories and dinner was about 2100 calories, for a total of 3200 calories. My recommended amount is 1250 calories per day; I ate 2.5 times the number of calories that I should have had for the day. I do my weekly weigh-in on Friday; I think I will show a gain this week... I wonder if the WiiFit knows that today is Thanksgiving? I wonder if it will be nice to me tomorrow when it tells me that I've gained weight this week?

Happy Birthday to Keith!

No comments:

Post a Comment