Thursday, May 3, 2018

Maybe He's Getting Hungrier?

Although Dad didn't eat much at breakfast, for lunch he ate his entire peanut butter and jelly sandwich albeit over a 3 hour period, had about 240 ml Breeze, & a Nutter Butter. For dinner he went back to not eating, but he did at least drink 240 ml of Boost Plus.
Dad's second lunch; he polished off the rest of his sandwich.

I brought Xander for a visit again today. We scheduled it so that Curtis took the morning shift, then I brought Xander in about noon. When Curtis left about 2 p.m. he took Xander with him and dropped him off at home.
Xander acting like a dog, lying quietly by Dad's bed.
Xander keeping Dad company during his second lunch.

I also brought a bunch of Nutter Butters and the plastic container Dad likes to keep them in. The container is not airtight, so the Nutter Butters get a little soggy, which is the way he likes them.


During my walk to Maunalani Park this afternoon I saw a bird I have never seen before. Of course, I got a bunch of terrible photos of it in the tree it retreated to as I approached! But then it flew back down to the ground where I had 1st seen it scratching in the leaves. I believe it is a male White-rumped Shama (Copsychus malabaricus); in looks and behavior, it actually reminded me of a Spotted Towhee (Pipilio maculatus). Shamas are in their nesting season right now, so may be there is a nest in the trees around the park! (Hopefully those 2 dead baby birds weren't shamas. But if they were, shamas are known to raise 2 broods in a season so may be they will have another nest.) I will have to pay attention to see if I can find the nest and watch for fledglings later in the season.
White-rumped Shama (Copsychus malabaricus).

The other day I discovered that the staff has a soft toy they stick in the door to the lanai on the 2nd floor to keep it from closing all the way and locking. They keep it on top of the computer monitor enclosure. I will use it if I go to the lanai for phone calls but not when I do my walks.
The pink thing is the toy being used as a doorstop.

I got my hair cut today by one of The Roommates. I wasn't paying attention so the top portion, which I like a little bit longer than the sides, is shorter than normal. But I don't have to look at me so its okay. And I can go a little bit longer between haircuts now! Winner!

For several days now the Kilauea volcano has been showing lots of signs of an imminent eruption. There have been lots of small earthquakes, like 10 or so per hour, in the vicinity. And small cracks showing up all over the place. This afternoon it finally came to the surface in the Puna district and evacuations were started. FYI My house is on the opposite side of the island from this activity, almost as far as you could possibly get from it.
Lava oozing up in Leilani Estates. (Screen shot from KGMB)
Smoke from the Pu'u O'O vent. (Screen shot from KGMB)
Diagram of the East Rift Zone and subdivisions being impacted. (Screen shot from KGMB)

Apparently the cats were in my room from sometime this afternoon until one of The Roommates came home & heard them meowing. Someone left me a present. I'm guessing it was Xander! It was old, but I didn't step in it, it was under the table.


Happy Birthday to Aunty Judy, Mary Ellen, & Mary D!

No comments:

Post a Comment