Saturday, May 19, 2018

Dad Slept Well Last Night

Dad slept through the night last night, no trying to get out of bed. He surprised me by eating about half of his papaya this morning. Except for the 1 piece of sausage, that was the extent of eating real food at breakfast; he also had 360 ml Breeze and 120 ml Plus. He pretty much slept through lunch. I hope this doesn't make him stay up all night.


The walk to and from Maunalani was uneventful. No cool birds, no friendly dogs, no interesting people. I was hoping to run in to Kelly again so I could find out about the sun protection clothing he used when he was on Hokule'a, but he wasn't there today. I have already started researching it, but I thought I might be able to shorten the process by getting info from him. I will be out in the field with Kyle from 1 pm to 7 pm. In either a pineapple field which has no trees, or a marsh but in the part without trees. And my long-sleeved flannel shirt just won't be able to provide the protection that I will need from the Hawaiian sun. I've checked out the Coolibar website which looks promising; I'll have to check out more sites.

The Roommate Who Is Learning How to Give Xander His Meds cooked dinner tonight; it is his 1st cooking attempt at dinner for the household. He made a shrimp & asparagus stir fry, it was very good. I told him since he only has to cook once a week, he should perfect 4 recipes. Then he can put them on the calendar in the same order and we would only be eating it once a month so we will not get tired of him only being able to cook 4 different meals. Winner!
Prep work.
Shrimp Asparagus Stir Fry.

The new black boxes for the television arrived last night, a day earlier than expected. I was going to install them today but I found out from Curtis that the box that I installed actually does work! Apparently I did not switch the mode from TV to HDMI so that's why it did not work; not what the customer service rep told me. Curtis switched it and it worked! I wonder why the customer service rep did not tell me to do that? At any rate, when I got home there was a movie on. And this time I knew which one it was! Independence Day! For some reason I must have watched it in its entirety at some time, but I can't remember why; may be I was on a Delta Airlines flight to/from Hawai'i? I recognized Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum. Before they got in the space craft, Jeff Goldblum was wearing his flannel shirt like I wear mine, rolled up to the elbows, totally unbuttoned with a sleeveless shirt under it; he looks better in his than I do in mine. (Sorry missed the photo on that one.)
Jeff Goldblum & Will Smith in Independence Day getting ready to plant the virus. (Screen shot from AMC)

On Thursday the pakalana celebrated its 1 year anniversary of being planted in our backyard. It has grown a lot, I can't wait for the flower clusters to start forming. I am hoping to get enough blossoms this year to be able to make at least one lei; it is my favorite lei flower, I love the spicy sweet fragrance, which I should be able to smell in my new room! I have not been able to find any products based on its scent, I guess its fragrance is not popular with enough people to be marketable. FYI The silk lei band on my Gore-Tex hat is pakalana.
Pakalana on the back fence.
One of the blossoms on Mom's last surviving orchid.

Happy Birthday to cousin Scott!

No comments:

Post a Comment