Sunday, May 27, 2018

The New (to Us) Couch Has Arrived!

Today Curtis dropped off their old family room couch, to replace the 40+ year old living room couch that we got rid of when we replaced the living room floor last December. But he forgot to measure the space; the "new" couch is a little too large for the space. We will have to remove the end table by the window in order for it to fit properly without blocking the hallway.
Before.
After.

Mom's last gift orchid is now in full bloom; it looks as good as the earlier blooms! Mom's last surviving orchid has more blooms opening up; it will look really good when all the blossoms are opened.
Mom's last gift orchid.
Mom's last orchid.

Before I left for Maunalani I did a quick "repair" on the door chimes. It turns out the battery for the one at the garage door was loose, some tape quickly fixed that. The entire sending unit at the back door was loose; another piece of tape quickly fixed that. I like it when repairs are quick & easy!

I also reorganized the paper towel & toilet paper storage. I moved them out of the closet in the room I have moved in to (thus making it a private area) and in to the family room closet (which is in a communal area). I need to clean out a bunch of the shelves in the family room closet so that when it's time to buy another Costco size bunch of paper towels or toilet paper there will be room to store it in that closet.

When I went to the park today I saw a lot of birds. I started with the Java Sparrows, then I saw the lost Kolea again. As I was leaving the park I saw a yellow bird that I was not familiar with; I took a bunch of photos to help with identification. I think it is a Yellow-fronted Canary.
These really are Java Sparrows (Lonchura oryzivora); they were very visible to my eyes when I took the photo.
The lost Kolea (Pacific Golden Plover, Pluvialis fulva).
Yellow-fronted Canary (Serinus mozambicus).

I also saw a couple guys doing a style of push-ups I have never seen before; they were suspended from their ankles. After pushing up, they bring their knees up to their chest. I won't be doing these style of push-ups, I'll stick to my sissy push-ups. At least for now.


The Roommate Who Is Learning How to Give Xander His Meds made dinner tonight. He says he is perfecting his fried rice so it can become Recipe #2; I think it's pretty good right now. We ate the fried rice with warmed up leftover proteins: pot roast, corned beef, and rotisserie chicken.
Fried rice.
My dinner with leftover rotisserie chicken.

I'm spending my time at the ER with either Dad or Xander! I left Maunalani early; The Roommate Who Is Learning How to Give Xander His Meds called me in the late afternoon to say Xander was lying in the Cat Genie while it was filling up with water! I took him (Xander, not The Roommate) to Veterinary Emergency + Referral Center. Dr. Duffy said Xander's blood glucose had dropped very low and he was dehydrated. He later called to say the blood work showed Xander did not have ketones in his urine (good news) but he did have some bacteria (bad news). They will keep him overnight; Dr. Duffy will call tomorrow to let me know how he's doing and whether he will be able to come home tomorrow. I think I will board him when I go to visit Robert & Vivian.

Happy Birthday to John! He would have been 61 today but he passed away just before Thanksgiving last year. I'm glad I got to spend some time with him when I was visiting last spring; but I forgot to take a photo, he laughed and said he would have ended up on the cutting room floor. Not. I miss comparing notes with him about caring for our aging parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment