Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Zippy's Waipio

Curtis says we have pretty much run out of breakfast places that he has eaten at already. One of his initial criteria was that it could not be a chain restaurant; he has relaxed that requirement. In fact, this morning we discussed visiting all 24 of the Zippy's Restaurants! This was after going to Nancy's Kitchen, Loco Moco Drive Inn in Waipahu, & Big City Diner in Waipio this morning & finding out they all don't open until 8 am; he needed to be back at his house by 8:30 for the Spectrum cable guy. So we ended up at Zippy's Waipio; only 23 more to go! (We've been to Zippy's Kahala for breakfast already.) Actually, we decided we would only be able to get to 23 of the 24 since we don't go to Maui regularly. Today Curtis had the Chili Burrito with a side order of egg on top; I had the Homemade Hash with one Egg. We also put together a list of other breakfast places to visit.
Zippy's Waipio.
Chili Burrito with side order of egg. (Photo by Curtis)
Homemade Hash with One Egg.

While I was there I checked out Curtis' kitchen remodel & extension. Lots of cool stuff! Can't wait to see the finished work.

Spice rack drawer.
Lazy susan cabinet.
Pull-out shelves.
Curtis in the opening to the new extension.
New sliding door with internal blinds.

I also checked out the sun protection shirt that Lori got in Maui a few months ago. It's by a company called Vapor Apparel and has a humpback whale graphic on the front that was added by the vendor in Maui. Checking online I found that I can buy the shirts retail directly from Vapor, if I buy 6 of the same color & type at a time. The mens line has about twice as many color options (20) as the womens line (11). Huh? Why not give both genders the same color options?


When I got to Maunalani, CNA Susie said Dad refused to eat his breakfast 3 times; but since I was now here she left the food for me to work on him until lunch arrives. I was able to get him to drink 240 ml Breeze and 240 ml Plus before lunch. At lunch he had one bite of his peanut butter & jelly sandwich, 240 ml Plus, & 120 ml Breeze. He didn't eat any dinner at all (more info on that later in this post).

Dad started his physical therapy today! Zhanna was the therapist working with him. It took a bit of cajoling by CNA Susie to get him out of bed & in to the wheelchair; then it took a bunch more cajoling to get him to try to do the standing exercise and other movements that Zhanna needed to have him do for her assessment. She was pleased with how much more he was able to do than the last time she had seen him.
Zhanna pushes Dad's wheelchair to the gym.

The weather for my walk down to the park was excellent! It was overcast with a good, steady breeze. For a few minutes it even sprinkled for a short while. Apparently not many other people thought it was excellent, there were only 2 other people at the park and they were near the building under the eaves.


As I was leaving for my walk, Curtis was pulling in to the parking lot at Maunalani. When I got back to Dad's room I noticed Dad was shivering. Curtis said a few minutes earlier, Dad said he was cold so he put more blankets on him, but he wasn't shivering then. CNA Dennis took Dad's temperature: 99.5 degrees F. He went to tell the nurse on duty, RN Ellie came in about 5 minutes later to give Dad Tylenol to reduce the fever; she also took his temperature, it was now 100.5 F. After an hour LPN Rio came in to check on Dad; his temperature was now 102.0 F. Dennis came in and added ice packs to Dad; he didn't complain about them. Rio called Dr. Gries, who gave orders to give Dad one round of Clindamycin and do another flu swab & chest x-ray. I texted The Roommates to tell them to start dinner without me. Later in the evening the fever went down to 99.2 F but the x-ray showed Dad had a collapsed lung. I will talk to Dr. Gries tomorrow about treatment options and prognosis.
Dad has an ice pack on his head.

Just before dinner, Candace from Dr. Ching's office called. They have a cancellation! I can go in tomorrow to have the periodontal deep clean and antibiotic chip. It will be nice to get it done before I go to visit Robert & Vivian.

I do my cool down stretches on the 2nd floor lanai. It's got a great view that I can look at for most of the 3 minutes while I am doing my stretches; it usually also has a nice breeze. I love watching the surf in the distance and being able to see the weather change on the cooler, wetter days. I usually also see the staff coming & going at shift change. Today I also got to see a neighborhood dog watering the plants & people's tires! (He missed my car.)
I look straight out towards the pair of Norfolk Island Pines in the center distance.


Hmmm, what's he doing there?

No comments:

Post a Comment