Saturday, May 5, 2018

Dad Ate a Little More Today, Sort Of

For breakfast Dad actually ate almost all of his papaya and 1/4 of his hard-boiled egg plus 240 ml Breeze "juice". He didn't do as well for lunch; he didn't eat a thing but he drank 240 ml Breeze and 120 ml Plus. For dinner Dad ate only a couple bites of an egg salad sandwich, drank 240 ml Plus, ate a Nutter Butter, and a couple of spoonfuls of Magic Cup. LPN Rio said she will give Dad his evening pills with the Magic Cup.
Breakfast.

CNA Aladin weighed Dad today. He is now 121.8 pounds! He was 119.2 pounds on April 28th, so he has gained 2.6 pounds. Our insistence on him drinking the Boost supplements if he is not eating the rest of his meals must be helping!

On my walk to Maunalani Park this morning while Dad was at the music session there were no White-rumped Shamas (Copsychus malabaricus) around, but I did see a cavity in one of the trees. On my cursory look around I didn't see any sign of it being occupied. I'll keep looking for their nest cavity.

Later in the afternoon I had another break so I walked down to Maunalani Park again; after a while exercise becomes kind of addictive for me. It makes me feel alive. Kelly & Abby were at the park again; I got photos this time. Unlike Bruce, Abby is extremely focused on the frisbee; she didn't care about the great dog treats I have now. When Abby was taking breaks from chasing the frisbee I had a great time talking to Kelly about being a crew member on Hokule'a for the Malama Honua Worldwide Voyage; he was on Leg 17 from Brazil to the Virgin Islands. Here's Abby in action.
Abby & Kelly.
This is what happens when you try to convey action in a series of stills.
I haven't figured out how to upload videos to this blog yet.
So you'll just have to look at a lot of stills.

Abby starts her leap and gets lost in the foliage; she's to the right of the gap, you can see her tail. The frisbee is several feet above the top of the fence.
Abby & the frisbee are now on their way back down. Half of Abby's body is above the top of the fence, the frisbee is at the top of the fence.

I got a call from Alexis from the Hawai'i Wildlife Center this morning. They needed an 'alae 'ula (Hawaiian moorhen, Gallinula chloropus sandvicensis) transported from Feather & Fur to the airport for a noon flight; but since I was here at Maunalani in the morning I couldn't do it. I told her I could do a late afternoon flight; she was going to check with the airline since she had not been able to find anyone to do a morning transport. Since I never got another call something must have worked out with one of the other volunteers. It would have been really cool to transport the 'alae 'ula, they are endemic to Hawai'i; between 1993 and 2003 just under 300 individuals were found annually in the state with about half on O'ahu and the other half on Kaua'i, so doing a transport is probably the only way I would ever get to see one.

The Roommates are checking out the WiiFit as I write this. They didn't want me taking any photos of them setting up their avatars with their biological information. Perhaps when they have reached their goals they will let me take photos of their successes.

Tomorrow I am taking a mental health break in the morning. Check on Monday for what I will be doing tomorrow!

Happy Birthday to Keith! And Happy Anniversary to Helen & Sergio!

No comments:

Post a Comment