Monday, September 14, 2026

Next Level

I have been reading Next Level: Your Guide to Kicking Ass, Feeling Great, and Crushing Goals Through Menopause and Beyond by Dr. Stacy Sims with Selene Yeager. My friend & massage therapist Becky loaned me her copy. Over the past few days I have been using the "recipe" for a hydration solution & have felt a positive difference in my everyday hydration level using this 1% solution made by mixing 1 teaspoon maple syrup & 1/16 teaspoon salt with about 10 ounces of water. These proportions are just slightly lower than the osmolality of your blood plasma & activates the sodium-glucose co-transport system to help get fluids into your cells more effectively. It works! It has a better ability than plain water as well as mainstream commercial sports drinks to be absorbed by your body without causing gastrointestinal distress.

 

Dr. Sims is a sports physiologist who specializes in hydration; I am finding her advice very informative. The book also looks at the hormonal differences between women & men & how following the recommendations for men is not in the best interest for the health & endurance of a female athlete since women are not just "small men". She goes further in examining how the normal life changes in hormone levels affects female physiology & its needs in daily life as well as endurance sports & how to adapt to those changes while maintaining the ability to perform in endurance sports. And while I am not an endurance athlete (& never wanted to be one) I am finding the information in her book to be very helpful. I wish I had known about this book earlier when I was just an active woman who worked outdoors! But I can still use the information starting now! Since she has also worked with female Kona Ironman triathletes, she also has recommendations for hydration when having to function in temperatures around 80 degrees F. My next step will be to incorporate her exercise plan for women at the next level.

I started out the day meeting Dane for breakfast in Waimea; he had to take the water tank trailer in for new tires. We went to Hawaiian Style Cafe but I forgot to take a photo of any of the food we ate! I also treated him to breakfast because it was his birthday earlier in the week! Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Dane!

I went to Waimea via the Kohala Mountain Road which is now open. The downed poles & wires at the intersection with Hāwī Road has been cleared. It looks like there were several areas where trees fell across the road, too.

Intersection now clear of poles wires.
Tops of trees removed from roadway.
Wires raised off of road but just barely high enough for tall vehicles to pass under.

Later I went to a meeting of the Kohala Culture & History Advisory Group; there were only 3 of us there. It has become a struggle to keep the group going since the person with the energy & capacity to send out information has had recent health issues along with now having a regular 9 to 5 type of job rather than freelancing. At today's meeting we strategized how to keep people on the email list engaged.

The place that KCHAG met today was also the distribution point for meals during the post-Lālā period when many people did not have power; they also had a hotspot that people could use to get wi-fi access for a couple of hours. One of the things distributed was MREs (Meals Ready to Eat). We were given a packet to try! Going to share it with Kai, who has tried other MREs given to him by one of his tech buddies.


I saw ʻŌhuna on the security camera climbing the fence on the inside tonight. But she did not go over the top. I have yet to see how she actually gets out from the inside of the cat yard which is more difficult than getting back in. Later in the day Hoʻokoa was also up on the fence but he was only trying to catch something that was on the fence.

She just climbed up but not over.


According to the Lingopie dashboard, I have a 2 day streak going. But I do not see that or remember that I got on to Lingopie yesterday. 


Today's Hanzi practice on Duolingo was the word for "some". It is composed of 2 radicals; the 1st on the left is easy. It is 一() which means "one". The 2nd radical is 些 (xiē) which means "a small amount greater than 1".


Tropical Storm Norbert is about 1125 miles easterly of Hilo & moving westerly at about 15 mph. Its maximum sustained winds are at about 40 mph. It is expected to gradually weaken over the next couple of days. Tropical Depression Fifteen-E is not yet in the Central Pacific basin but is headed our way. It is about 785 miles southwesterly of the southern tip of Baja California & moving west-southwesterly at about 9 mph. Its maximum sustained winds are about 35 mph but it is expected to strengthen & become a tropical storm later today.


There has been intermittent burst of spattering at Kīlauea but no pre-cursory flows for a couple of days. 


 Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Norm, Linda, Catherine, & Maria! 

No comments:

Post a Comment