Thursday, April 7, 2016

Vacuum Packing Experiments

Decided not to install the disposal myself. Since this is the first time I would be doing this, it will likely take more time than everyone says it will take. And today's priority was experimenting with cinnamon rolls and vacuum sealing dinner rolls and other things for Mom and Dad. So I will be calling someone who knows what they are doing so we will be without a kitchen sink for only an hour.

We made one recipe of rolls but on half of them we added cinnamon sugar before we rolled them up. But we had no brown sugar so we used raw sugar and did not put enough cinnamon. They baked up really well. The problem came when I went to vacuum seal them; I let the cinnamon rolls go a little too long so they got squashed. I did better with the dinner rolls. The owner's manual says an alternate method is to freeze them first then bag and vacuum seal; I'll try that at a later date. Getting the bags to be the right size has also been a challenge for me.


While the dough for the rolls was rising I made a quick trip to the grocery store and gas station. Gas at the station Dad goes to was $2.499 for unleaded regular. According to AAA, the National average today was $2.041.


Aunty Florence taught Mom how to make 3-bean salad since she really likes it. Not sure how this will work out since Mom would have to turn the beans every day for the next 2 days to get them to marinate well. My guess would be that she forgot about them a few moments after she closed the refrigerator door. Mom had Aunty Florence write the recipe in the little book she keeps her notes in. It is one of many little notebooks that she has. And keeps losing. In the earlier stages it was helpful to her. And insightful for me to read the notes she put down. Now it can be frustrating at times for her when she can't remember where she put the book. Or can't remember what she meant by the cryptic notes she has written. One thing I have noticed is how her spelling has deteriorated.

Mom and Dad's orange tree has great tasting oranges, but not very many of them since they keep forgetting to water it; we had one of the oranges this morning. Every time I visit I deeply water the orange tree. It is finally beginning to pay off. It has a bunch of little oranges and lots of flowers. This time I have been soaking the ground around its roots every other day. Hopefully, it will have enough moisture to keep the fruits developing properly.


We ordered pizza tonight. In Hawai'i the Papa John's franchise has what they call the 50/50 deal. When you call in your order and let them know you are 50 years or older and you pick up your pizza, you get 50% off. It's a really good deal, though a Costco pizza still costs less. I vacuum-packed the 3 leftover slices and threw them in the freezer for Mom and Dad to eat for dinner after we leave.

Every morning Mom has been surprised by the missing vertical blind slat. This evening I put up the broken slat that I fixed by attaching a paper clip to the top of the slat with epoxy. Tomorrow when she opens the blinds I doubt if Mom will notice that it is there; but that's part of human nature not to notice what is normal.

Momo has been meowing a lot at night. I have been thinking he was waking up and not finding his brother nearby so he starts meowing. But tonight he followed me in to the bathroom when I went to take a shower and he was sleeping on my clothes when I got out. May be he is looking for me. Or perhaps, Kai - after Kai left in November, Momo and Shiro would go in to the room he stayed in and meow. They were acting like dogs, which I find quite interesting since these are the very wild, feral cats that we adopted.



Happy Birthday to Lorraine and Hester!

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it would work to fill a 2liter soda bottle with water and turn upside down in the orange tree? Curtis could fill it every sunday?

    ReplyDelete