Thursday, January 25, 2018

ENVS

I had breakfast this morning at Narrative Coffee with some of my friends from Environmental Services. Many things are still the same but one big change is that they will have 2 interns this year! Getting an intern for the summer was one of the projects I was pushing for when I retired. The other was convincing management that an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV aka drone) would help us do our work and increase efficiency tremendously; that's not quite there yet but last year they were able to get some drone footage from another agency that shows management some of what is possible. I had a Cheddar Chive Street Waffle and Hot Chocolate.
L to R: Beth, Dara, Mary, Terri, Irene, Stephanie, & Misty.
Hot chocolate & Cheddar Chive Street Waffle.

One of the things that Kai has needed is a good chair for when he is sitting at his computer. This morning we went to look for one. About 20 years ago when I hurt my back I was sent to Office Interiors & Supplies to get fitted for a medically prescribed ergonomic chair. I googled and found it was still there on Madison Street so we headed over there. We found a vacant building but no "moved to" sign. So I googled "office" and found Everett Office Furniture on Broadway near Hewitt, so we headed over there. And found another vacant building! But this time there was a "moved to 9121 Evergreen" sign. And this  time we found a functioning store! We walked in and were met by a friendly salesperson who looked familiar to me but I couldn't quite place her. Kai told her what he was looking for, unfortunately they did not have any in stock, but they are getting a shipment next week. As she was going to get her business cards I asked for one also. It turns out Nadlae is the same person who helped me some 20 years ago! And she is great! Kai is in good hands to get a chair that will help him out. After he returns from helping me unpack things on the Big Island, he will call Nadlae and set up an appointment to look at chairs, she said while he is gone she will get a couple of chairs for him to look at. She also told him to measure the height of his work surface so they can set the chair at a similar hieght desk & check everything out for him. She's great!

I met Barb for lunch at Los Pollos Hermanos. We decided to try the Pollos a la Brasa, it's a Peruvian spiced charcoal rotisserie chicken. We ordered half a chicken with a side of Peruvian beans and fries as well as a green salad. It comes with 3 sauces on the side. 
 
Barb with the Pollos a la Brasa & the 3 sauces (L to R): aji amarillo, rocoto, & huaycatui.

Kai & I headed over for a quick visit with Gabriele. She's looking good and contemplating new challenges this year. While there, we got a text from Michael, he was joining us in going over to see Carole & Norm.

Carole & Norm are doing great because Norm is back in the state! Although he will have a couple hour drive, he is no longer on the East coast. We had a great time catching up with them over a home cooked dinner with carrot cake and mango cake (from Amelia) for dessert. Mocha also had a good time with her buddy Kai!

Kai & Mocha.
Carrot cake (L) and mango cake.

I have been doing terrible with getting in my 250 steps each hour. I took Louie for a walk after we got back from dinner with Carole & Norm so that I could walk off some of the meals I have been eating. I am really glad I have the Mobile Warming heated vest, it helps keep me warm even when there is a little wind. 

Happy Birthday to Donna!

No comments:

Post a Comment