Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Water Storage, Part 1

I picked up a new bottle of Clorox today. The code line looks similar to the one on Mom's old bottle of Clorox but there's a space between the 4th & 5th characters. Using this new information I figured Mom's bottle of Clorox was manufactured on September 18, 2015. Still too old to use. I smelled it; there is absolutely no chlorine smell.
I wrote the manufacture date on it so I won't have to keep looking it up.

I started on our water storage emergency preparations; for Dad & me we need 28 gallons, I figure we need to add another 14 for the cats. I started with the bottles for drinking water; I have eight 96-ounce PETE bottles, which is 6 gallons. I also filled up 2 smaller cranberry juice bottles for another gallon. I also filled up 3 of the 12 HDPE milk jugs for flushing toilets and washing dishes. I'll be doing more tomorrow; even though the only bottles I have are milk jugs, I will be filling those. In a disaster they will be better than no water. In the meanwhile, I will continue to get more PETE bottles; I finish a 96-ounce bottle of cranberry juice every other week.

On the news last night they had a screen shot of the screen that the state warning officer was looking at when the wrong choice was clicked on. (Most reports say a "button" was "pushed" but everything is digital now.) It looks like a really bad design that makes it easier to make a mistake. Tonight they say it was a different screen, I don't have a screen shot but the article shows one; it still looks confusing with the one that was clicked at the bottom of a list labeled, "1. TEST Message".
Hmmmm, looks like bad user interface design. It looks like the one that was chosen IS a Test Message. (Screen shot from KGMB)

Last night Stephen Colbert also had a piece on the missile false alarm. It started with a rebroadcast of an old Don Ho concert. Then the Alert scrolls across, followed by an Oops.
(Screen shot from KGMB)
(Screen shot from KGMB)
(Screen shot from KGMB)

Today was breakfast morning! We went to Wailana Coffee House. Curtis had the Local Boy Omelet; I had the Hawaiian Style Breakfast.

Local Boy Omelet. (photo by Curtis)
Hawaiian Style Breakfast.

We also talked about how his Saturday morning went. He was out having breakfast at Zippy's with Lori; they had just got their coffee when the alert came through. He didn't hear any sirens & felt it was a false alarm and, like me, he felt nothing could be done in 12 minutes. But Lori wanted to return home, so they left. Just before they left Brent called to find out where they were; he asked if Curtis had ordered carbs! (He's on a low carb diet for health reasons.) You've probably noticed by now that this family appreciates black humor.

State #14 on my Jetsetter Map is Pennsylvania. It is also my last state to scratch off right now.


Happy Birthday to Karena!

No comments:

Post a Comment