Monday, August 3, 2020

As Predicted

One of the headlines today was a potential shut down if new cases per day remains high; additional data for yesterday indicates it, too, had over 100 new cases. As Dr. Ric predicted last Friday, another shut down will happen if cases do not go down. The state will assess the situation over the next week or so. Personally, I think they are just warning people that it is going to happen since the positive cases we are seeing now are people who were exposed up to 14 days earlier! People can't go back and undo their behavior that they did 14 days ago. We can only go forward and hope they curb those activities now so the surge does not continue.


I started out the morning by delivering baby powder to Maunalani for Dad. I could only wait outside the main entrance while someone came up to get the baby powder; so I checked out the new landscaping.


Some new decorations at the entrance.
New flowers & plants at the entrance.
These are the rails for the solar panels!

Some of our assignments for Dr. C's class are on the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials eLearning Center. I started the COVID-19 training this morning and completed the 1st 4 modules before class started; according to the note on the 5th it would have taken me 45 minutes to complete which would have meant I would be late to class so I held off on starting it.














Our guest speaker this morning was Dr. Tetine Sentell; she spoke about Ethics in Public Health. We had several break out groups so I got to meet and talk with more of my fellow students.




























Lunch was a little later than usual today, but I was ready with my Muffin Tin Denver Omelets. Which tasted great! I hope to have enough time on Wednesday to make more of them. I made a tactical error yesterday; I had broken one of the omelets & the center was not quite set so I didn't want it freezing to another omelet so I left it in the refrigerator. So I tried nuking one refrigerated omelet along with one frozen omelet; not a good idea. My original intention was that the frozen one would be defrosted by lunch when I took it out of the freezer first thing in the morning. Tomorrow I will try taking it straight out of the freezer and nuking for 1 minute like the recipe says. If that works it will also be a lot easier than trying to remember to take them out of the freezer the night before.


The afternoon portion of class was viewing a video on ethical issues in public health, then discussing it within our group. We chose to view, "










A big news item was the spike in new cases going up to 207; but officials attributed 114 cases to the delay in reporting for weekend cases. Even if we split that evenly (57 each) between Saturday & Sunday, that would mean 144 for Saturday (a new high) and 102 for Sunday. And if we averaged the number of new cases it would be 123 each day; still not a comforting number.


The surges have prompted the mayor to reimpose the 10 person maximum on gatherings. This applies both to indoor as well as outdoor activities. This is also regardless of household or living affiliations.


The surge has also made the Governor say he may plan to delay the pre-travel testing to waive the 14-day quarantine for incoming passengers.


A potential home SARS-CoV-2 test kit is in the works at a local hospital.


As mentioned earlier, there were 207 new COVID-19 cases reported today. Fortunately, deaths are still low, although hospitalizations have increased.

 
The epidemiological curve shows the steep rise in cases.



Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Greg!

No comments:

Post a Comment