Thursday, August 20, 2020

Kalapawai Cafe

I had dinner from Kalapawai Cafe; it's about 30 minutes away. Why did I go that far for dinner? It's across the street from Mac Made Easy, which is the only official Mac repair store open right now. All the Apple stores on the island are closed including the one that is 5 minutes away from the house. So I went to Kalapawai to get dinner while I was there.

I had checked 1st thing in the morning to make an appointment to drop my laptop off at the Apple store nearby for repair, only to find that they were closed. When I Googled Mac repair, I found the only thing open was Mac Made Easy; I sent an email since they weren't open yet. Long story short, it will be about 10 days before my laptop gets to the top of the queue and they can tell me what's wrong with it.

In the meanwhile I would be using Mom's old computer which is running Windows 8. It does not have a camera so my classmates can only see a black box with my name now. It was also rather glitchy; it crashed 4 times in the 90-minute morning session. Since it took 2 or 3 minutes for me to shut everything down & restart it again to unfreeze it, I set my phone up for audio for the afternoon session so I could at least listen to what was going on as I worked on things. I am such a visual learner it helps for me to see slides or peoples faces for the information to stick in my brain.

Later I emailed Dr. Ric & Dr. C to let them know how I was going to be showing up on their Zoom screens for the next 2 weeks of class. I also emailed my team to let them know I might not be able to contribute as much to our final project because of the ancient technology. Later in the evening, Justin responded saying, "I know of an available laptop in Honolulu. ... I can get my brother to drop it off if he can get it. Do you want it?" So tomorrow Justin's brother will pick up Justin's old laptop and bring it to the house! My team is amazing!

The COVID Contact Crew gave the "of the Day" presentation this morning. Although it was great and I learned things, this system is slow and cumbersome, so no photos.

Dr. Sarah Park from the state department of health was one of our morning guest lecturers. Dr. Park gave us behind the scenes look at what is going on with contact tracing and what to expect going forward. She said the Convention Center space is being used for training; after 2 weeks, tracers will be issued a DOH cell phone, then work from home. She also said sometimes recommendations by DOH for reopening or shutting down are ignored because of requirements of other agencies.

Dr. Aimee Grace also spoke in the morning. She runs the UH contact tracing training program. Dr. Grace filled us in on how many people have actually been trained since the start of the program.

There were 236  new COVID-19 cases reported today for a total of 5844 known cases. There were also 3 more deaths bringing that total up to 45.

Hau'oli la Hanau e Judy & Mick! A me ka Hau'oli la Ho'omana'o 'ewalu e Amy & Andreas! And Happy 1st Birthday to my S7! It has survived one year with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment