Saturday, March 13, 2021

Mercado de la Raza

A couple days ago Paris asked me if there was a Mexican grocery nearby, I told her I did not know about one. Later that night I Googled and found one. The only one on the island. It's about 3 miles away. I gave Paris a ride there today and found a couple things I had earlier looked for unsuccessfully; the main one was the Doña Maria brand of mole poblano sauce. I also got a small bottle of Tajin chile con limon; it's a mix of chile powder & dehydrated lime juice. Paris actually paid for everything plus bought me a Jarritos tamarindo; to thank me for giving her a ride. 


Because I am now going to be working Monday through Friday, I won't be able to do laundry on Mondays like I have been. So I did it this morning. When I opened the washer lid I found a lighter that had gone through the wash; I'm not sure if it is still usable but I sent a message to the roommate who smokes. 


Duolingo tries to encourage me to do more each week on their app. This week I did less than last week. But I'm fine with that. It's still way more than nothing.


I used the Tajin chile con limon on my sauteed chicken & apple sausage with baby pac choi dinner tonight. It added a nice flavor!


I did not get a screenshot of the Aix weather app from early this morning, but I did get one about an hour before I went to the mercado with Paris. Aix forecast that it was going to be very rainy until the mid-evening when it would taper off; it forecast rain throughout the evening. In the earlier part of the day we just got intermittent sprinkles. Then in the afternoon it cleared up! It did rain later in the evening.

A light sprinkle as I leave for the mercado around 12 noon.

Looking pretty nice at 4:20 pm.

I was going to reorganize one of the other shelves in the kitchen cabinet next to the refrigerator. I had already reorganized one shelf for my non-perishable morning proothie ingredients. I need another shelf to store & organize other non-perishable ingredients. 

The 1st shelf I reorganized.
The shelf I will work on next.

But I skipped that; instead I checked out the plants in the cat run. The orchid that The Roommates gave me when I finished the Community Contact Tracer Training has sent out a shoot; tiny flower buds can be seen forming along the stem. The last orchid Mom was given has sprouted more new leaves and the ones she grew are hanging in there.The Potential Most Favorite Roommate planted out the 3 kalo pieces; they're under the drip pattern for the eaves. He also has a Suriname cherry that he is going to turn in to a bonsai. Lastly, I checked out the plants in the rain gutter planter; the ferns are the most happy-looking plants there! The impatiens has died out, only 1 nasturtium is left & it is struggling. A couple of the succulents are growing well but they grow so slowly it seems like they are not doing well even though they are.

Orchid with new flowering shoot.
Three orchids, pikake start, & unknown seedling.
Kalo starts, Day 1. Hint - There's nothing to see.

Suriname cherry (Eugenia uniflora).
Various ferns.

The eruption at Kīlauea caldera is still going strong, though it does seem like there is less surface area with really hot lava at the surface.


Suzanne texted me an article about eruption preparedness this afternoon. It was specific to Mauna Loa, which is not what is erupting now but is a dormant volcano so has a potential to erupt, just as Kīlauea is doing now. In the map showing the response time should an eruption of Mauna Loa occur in different areas, the orange is the closest to where I will be located. If you look at the northerly tip of the island you will see the number "270" in a circle; that is a few miles away from where I will be. A flow from Mauna Loa will have to go about 3000 feet uphill to get over Kohala Mountain to get to me. A flow in the orange area would affect us if it crossed Hwy 19 by cutting us off from the Kona Airport. FYI Kohala is considered to be extinct so is not in any danger of erupting.



There was a Magnitude 4 earthquake on Hawaiʻi Island this afternoon. It did not generate a tsunami.


There were 64 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 28,208. There was 1 new death reported, bringing the death toll up to 450; currently there are 683 cases considered active. The 7-day new case average for Oʻahu is 26 with a 1.0% positivity rate.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e  Uncle Larry!

No comments:

Post a Comment