Thursday, November 4, 2021

Another Surf Board Rack Fire

There was another arson at a surf board rack early this morning; the 2nd in 3 weeks! Auē! This rack was located near The Cheesecake Factory; the other was by the Waikīkī police substation. No cost estimate of damages or number of boards lost has yet been provided. Since the boards need to be accessible at all times they really can't have them in a locked building; I think they might want to start considering an overhead sprinkler system which would also be cheaper than a secure building.


The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes was all better today. He went to work & did not come home early.

I made a lau ʻuala proothie this morning. I used the growing tip from one of the vines I harvested. 


I got a several texts this morning in quick succession. The 1st was from Catie; she's is Anne & Mary Kay's youngest daughter. It was great catching up with her! Hopefully she can find some time to come for a visit in the next couple of year; right now she is in college & working during breaks to save up money.


I also got a text from Heidi from Hawaiʻi Wildlife Center. I'm doing a transport tomorrow. It seems that the Wedge-tailed Shearwater (Puffinus pacificus) fallout season has started a little earlier than anticipated; there are 6 birds that need to be taken to the airport for a flight to the rehab center. Since Alexis won't be here until next Friday, I also told Heidi I could be available every day except Saturday & Monday to transport birds.


I signed up for the Smart Trees Pacific Potential Planting Site Training that will be held next week. The Zoom portion will be on the 16th & the field portion will be on the 17th; the goal is to do Potential Planting Site inventories while doing the tree inventories. Sounds like a good plan.


This morning I also got this video from our Neighborhood Security Watch captain. It is about a device used to break in to cars with electronic keys.


I also got a call from my friend Janice today. We talked for about an hour about her trip here in January. 


For dinner I marinated a Beyond Burger in the dipping sauce for the Korean-style fried chicken from the Halloween dinner. It was sort of like Korean-style teriyaki.

There were 2 slices of Spam hiding in the marinade.
I decided to make it a"burger".
I had it with chipotle sauerkraut
.

The Okage Sama De virtual tour, Chapter 2 Plantation & Plantation House, was released yesterday. My maternal grandfather worked for the Kohala Sugar Company; I remember a lot of the plantation things presented in the video. I remember gathering eggs, feeding & slaughtering chickens, & Grandpa's bento pail. Grandma's foot pump sewing machine is still at the house, though I am not sure what condition it is in. I am hoping to find Grandpa's bango as I go through cleaning out things in the Kohala house. Although there is a tansu at the house, there are too many futon to keep them all in the tansu. I remember the long table in the kitchen, I am not sure whether the table now on the lanaʻi is the one that used to be in the kitchen of the old house in Halawa Camp; I will have to check with my aunties about it.


I found both Keala & Luna in the living room this morning. S'mores was being scarce as usual.

Keala looks really tired.
The fur on Luna's belly is slowly growing back.

Kīlauea is still erupting. The thermal image seems to show the surface of the lava lake is a little cooler later in the day.

At 7:08 a.m.
At 5:55 p.m.
At 7:08 a.m.
At 5:55 p.m.

The Aix weather app forecast rain in Honolulu until mid-afternoon when it would turn to drizzles until later in the evening. In actuality, it was pretty dry until very late in the evening when it began to drizzle. For Kapaʻau, Aix forecast rain all day; Big Island Now forecast isolated showers in the morning, becoming scattered showers in the evening with a 50% chance of rain. The Honomū weather station recorded 0.14 inches of precipitation between sunrise & 5:46 p.m.; no additional precipitation was recorded for the remainder of the evening. For Marysville, Aix forecast rain during the entire day; the traffic cameras showed wet roadways all day.

Kaimukī looking westerly at 6:58 a.m.
Honomū looking northerly at 6:58 a.m.
Marysville looking southerly at 6:59 a.m. HST.
Kaimukī looking westerly at 5:46 p.m.
Honomū looking northerly at 5:46 p.m.
Marysville looking southerly at 5:46 p.m. HST.

The waves coming in to the north facing shorelines have diminished below warning levels & surfers are out again. East & west facing shores are getting moderate surf heights. The south shore is fairly flat.

Laniakea (N) at 7:01 a.m.
Hilo Bay (E) at 7:02 a.m.
Waikīkī (S) at 7:04 a.m.
Banyans (W) at 7:05 a.m.
Laniakea (N) at 5:30 p.m.
Hilo Bay (E) at 7:28 p.m.
Waikīkī (S) at 7:32 p.m.
Banyans (W) at 7:29 p.m.

There were 112 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, binging the total known cases up to 84,690. There were also 13 new deaths reported, increasing the death toll to 932; currently there are 1604 cases considered active. As of yesterday, there were 2,216,737 doses of vaccine administed, providing 71.5% of the state population with full vaccination and 81.7% with at least one dose. There are 65 cases that are currently hospitalized with 15 in the ICU & 12 o ventilators. The 7-day new case average on Oʻahu is 54 with a positivity rate of 1.6%.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Faith! A me ka Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanaʻo makahiki kanahā kumamāhā e Debbie & Chad! Today would have been Mom's 95th birthday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment