Sunday, November 7, 2021

Conversation with Catie

Remember Catie? Nearly 6 years ago when I started this blog, the 3rd piece that I published was about Catie & her critters. Today she is an amazing young woman working part-time to help pay for her college education. She called to interview me for her college class on ethnobotany; we spent nearly 2 hours talking! 


After the call with Catie, I made a quick run to Kokua Market; I had intended to do it yesterday so I could pick up a barbecue sandwich. There were 2 Rock Doves walking around in the store today; I helped Zoe herd them out. I got an avocado; it's a variety called Hayes which I have never knowingly tried. I also got 2 loaves of the take-and-bake bread to share with The Roommates; we'll have to eat one of the loaves by the end of the week, the other has a Best By date of 12/10.

One of the invasive species.
I've never seen this variety before.
Yum!

Today was a Fast Day so I only had water until dinner time. For dinner I made a Tempeh Bacon Vegan Cheddar-style Cheese Beyond Burger. I reshaped the burger to fit the bread, unlike the previous burger I cooked; it cut the amount of carbs I ate in half. I briefly fried the Tempeh Bacon just before I finished cooking the Beyond Burger. It was a good burger; I would make this again.  

Clockwise from R: the burger, kimchee, & chipotle sauerkraut.
 

I ended high enough on the Duolingo leader board that I was promoted to the highest level again. Though I was not high enough to gain any rewards.

I remained in position 4 until the end of the time period.

The Bronco Dude sent me an email this morning. He was forwarding information about the Neighborhood Haiku Poetry Contest; it involves writing a haiku using the number of syllables based on your zip code. I think that's a pretty novel idea!


Kīlauea is still erupting; albeit slowly.

At 6:21 a.m.
At 5:23 p.m.
At 6:21 a.m.
At 5:24 p.m.

The Aix weather app forecast rain in the early morning followed by partly cloudy skies until drizzles in the evening. The day turned out to be mainly sunny skies. The Kaimukī traffic cam at H-1 & Koko Head is still stuck on 11/04 so I did a screen grab from another traffic cam at Waiʻalae & Palolo today. For Kapaʻau, Aix forecast rain until mid-afternoonfollowed by drizzles for the remainder of the day; Big Island Now forecast partly sunny with scattered showers & a 50% chance of rain. The Honomū weather station recorded 0.03 inches of rain by 6:15 a.m.; by 5:17 p.m. there was a 0.04 inches accumulation. For Marysville, Aix forecast lots of rain through the early evening, tapering off to a lighter rain in the evening. It was difficult to tell on the traffic cam whether there was any precipitation in the evening.

Kaimukī looking westerly at 6:19 a.m.
Honomū looking northerly at 6:19 a.m.
Kaimuikī looking easterly at 1:22 p.m.
Nā Koʻolau at 1:47 p.m.
Honomū looking northerly at 5:17 p.m.
Marysville looking northerly at 5:21 p.m. HST.

The surfing along the north facing shorelines appears to be the best conditions today.

Laniakea (N) at 6:23 a.m.
Waikīkī (S) at 6:26 a.m.
Banyans (W) at 6:22 a.m.
Laniakea (N) at 5:14 p.m.
Hilo Bay (E) at 5:12 p.m.
Waikīkī (S) at 5:15 p.m.
Banyans (E) at 5:11 p.m.

There were 134 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the number of total known cases up to 85,045. There were also 12 new deaths reported, increasing the death toll to 962; currently there are 1504 cases considered active. There are 67 cases currently hospitalized with 14 in the ICU & 11 on ventilators. The 7-day new case average on Oʻahu is 50 with a positivity rate of 1.6%.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Linda & Maria!

No comments:

Post a Comment