Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Uber for Wildlife

I picked up 3 more Wedge-tailed Shearwaters from Feather & Fur this morning. There were actually 4 birds that needed a ride to Hawaiʻi Island, but Hawaiian Air Cargo did not have enough room on the earlier flights for an additional carrier.

Juvenile ʻUaʻu Kani or Wedge-tailed Shearwater (Puffinus pacificus).
On the way to have the birds inspected.
The inspectors are in the Plant Quarantine Branch.

After I dropped off the birds, I went to use the bathroom at Hawaiian Air Cargo before I got back on the road. I have been in the bathroom before but had never paid attention to the sink before, but I did today. It isn't really as bad as it looks; the sink is stained not dirty. I think it's stained because the cargo handlers also use this bathroom.


I'm glad I left a little early this morning. Even though the traffic cam at 6:31 a.m. showed a relatively good commute, by the time I got on the road to go to pick up the birds it was backed up as soon as I got on the freeway. Fortunately it was the only part of my trip that was jammed up.


On the way back, I stopped at Kokua Market to pick up more Parm Crisps; I had forgotten to get them the other day. I also picked up more cottage cheese plus 2 loaves of the Take-and-Bake bread; The Roommates really like it! As I was checking out, cashier Nicole noticed that I had picked up a couple of yogurts & vegan cheeses that were discounted; she mentioned she had just discounted some turkey sandwiches. I picked up one that was discounted 50% for eating today and one that was discounted 10% for eating later in the week. I make it a point to check the discounted items areas to see if there is anything I can use immediately; as an owner, if I purchase it, then the co-op loses less money on the item. 


As I was leaving Kokua, I ran in to a traffic jam that was totally unexpected; they were doing a bunch of roadwork on King Street just before the co-op. All the traffic was funneled down to one lane just before the co-op so there was a steady stream of cars going by.


When I got back home, I heard a noise in the living room. I found Keala on the couch again; today she was looking a little more alive than yesterday.

Groggy kitty!

Because I left the house so early, I did not make a proothie this morning. Instead I ate one of the turkey sandwiches for lunch. I had originally decided to eat half of the sandwich since it was so large, but after eating the 1st half, I found that the white thing that I originally thought was a slice of Emmenthaler or something similar, was a Won Bok stem. Most of what was in the sandwich was vegetables with just 1 slice of turkey; there was no cheese in it. Not filling; I ate both halves!

Itʻs too big to fit in my mouth, but not that filling.

Mayor Blangiardi held a press conference this morning; he announced upcoming changes to the Safe Oʻahu Response plan. These changes will go in to effect on December 1st. Among the changes he announced were the lifting of capacity requirements for all large events, expanding the attendance to large events to include vaccine and testing, dropping requirements for contract tracing, and keeping Safe Access for indoor gyms operating at full capacity but require mask wearing. The Mayor stressed that relaxing of the requirements is happening due to falling case numbers to a point where medical services will not be overpowered. He also made clear that if events occur that begin to increase case counts, even though people & businesses might not like it, requirements will be put back in place. What I like about this Mayor is that he is not wishy-washy & tells it like it is.


A couple hours later Governor Ige also held a press conference. He also announced upcoming changes to the State restrictions; these will also go in to effect on December 1st. Statewide limits for social gatherings, restaurants, bars, social establishments and gyms will end and counties will no longer need to obtain approval of the governor or Hawaii Emergency Management Agency’s director prior to issuing county emergency orders, rules or proclamations. But the indoor mask mandate and vaccination or testing requirements for state and county employees along with vaccination or testing requirements for contractors and visitors to state facilities will remain.


After lunch I got an email from Marjorie about 2 kūpuna booster clinics next week. I declined the one on Monday since the timing of the clinic conflicted with the Neighborhood Security Watch walk time. I volunteered for the one on Tuesday since I have no conflicts for that day.


For dinner I finished off the leftover Blackened Fish from dinner with Paris last night. I also had some Mushroom & Artichoke salad with it.


The new vent in Halemaʻumaʻu crater at Kīlauea volcano continues to pour lava out along the northerly edge of the drop down block area.

At 6:41 a.m.
At 5:13 p.m.
At 6:41 a.m.
At 5:13 p.m.

The Aix weather app forecast partly cloudy throughout the day turning to drizzles after dark; it was accurate except for the drizzles in the evening. For Kapaʻau, Aix forecast drizzles throughout the day; the Honomū weather station recorded no precipitation for the day. For Marysville, Aix forecast heavy rain in the morning diminishing throughout the day but never stopping; the traffic cams supported this. 

Kaimukī looking westerly at 6:31 a.m.
Honomū looking northerly at 6:31 a.m.
Marysville looking southerly at 6:33 a.m. HST.
CFHT looking northwesterly at 6:42 a.m.
Kaimukī looking easterly at 7:06 a.m.
Nā Koʻolau at 7:11 a.m.
Anuenue over Moʻiliʻili, looking westerly at 7:14 a.m.
Honomū looking northerly at 5:46 p.m.
Marysville looking northerly at 5:47 p.m. HST.

The size of the surf on the north facing shores is increasing; but most everywhere else is fairly flat. Some time during the day the camera at Laniakea was returned to its previous position so the tree trunk is no longer in the middle of the view of the waves.

Laniakea (N) at 6:38 a.m.
Hilo Bay (E) at 6:34 a.m.
Waikīkī (S) at 6:41 a.m.
Banyans (W) at 6:35 a.m.
Laniakea (N) at 5:16 p.m.
Hilo Bay (E) at 5:14 p.m.
Waikīkī (S) at 5:18 p.m.
Banyans (W) at 5:15 p.m.

There were 52 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 86,991. There were no new deaths reported so the death toll remains at 1002; currently there are 1499 cases considered active. As of today there ave been 2,324,436 doses of vaccine administered, providing 72.4% of the State population with full vaccination and 85.1% with at least one dose. The 7-day new case average for the State is 112 with a positivity rate of 1.5%. The 7-day new case average for Oʻahu is 63 with a positivity rate of 1.5%.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Alexis!

No comments:

Post a Comment