Monday, April 20, 2020

Color Swatches

When I went to bed last night I had determined that today I would make color swatch cards of the pigments I currently have in my limited palette. I woke up abruptly this morning, my rested brain realized I do not have any watercolor paper here, it is all in my flat file in Kohala! Aue! But then my rested & now fully awake brain realized that while here I would not be using any of that watercolor paper because, you know, it's not here; I would be using the watercolor sketch book that I bought to use here. So that is the paper I used to make color swatches today!


I had ordered Susan Chiang's color swatch stamp & waterproof ink stamp pad along with 1 sleeve to store them in before I went to Kohala; it was waiting for me when I returned. Color swatches provide a reference for the pigments you are using on the paper you are using; products from different manufacturers behaves slightly differently. It's good to know how the things you have behave with each other so that you can get the effect you want from your efforts.



Cutting the paper in to 2" x2" pieces.
Making sure it will fit in the sleeve.

I made 9 squares.
Watercolor paper has a right (L) and a wrong (R) side.
My first stamp; its a little light.
I pressed a little too hard on this one.
And not hard enough on this one.
The final results.

I had also ordered a new phone case from LifeProof and the Easy Everyday Keto book from America's Test Kitchen. They had also arrived by the time I returned. I think The Roommates wanted to make sure I knew they arrived; I found them in my bathroom. On the floor. And yes, I did notice them!
I forgot to share this with you when I returned.


My body is trained to wake up early; I got up at Saffron Finch wake up time this morning. I forced myself to go back to sleep and waited until my alarm went off to get this photo for you.
Twenty-three minutes before sunrise.
Twenty-three minutes after sunrise.

The place The Potential Most Favorite Roommate worked at was scheduled to close on March 22nd even before the coronavirus pandemic arrived here. So when they closed they were getting rid of everything. Toilet paper was already disappearing from store shelves so staff was given the remaining toilet paper as a parting gift. But the rolls are not the same as you would buy for regular home use; the central opening for the spindle is much smaller. So I had to improvise and came up with a solution. It took me about 2 minutes to figure out how to make this work and the solution looks like it!
Big peg in small hole?
Not pretty but it works! It's coming off the back because Luna likes to unroll the toilet paper.

The Potential Most Favorite Roommate did a grocery run for me today. I have decided to cook one of the keto-adapted meals for The Roommates in the next couple of days; Indian Butter Chicken. I know they all liked the butter chicken from Himalayan Kitchen, so I hope they like this recipe! If they like it I will try to cook one keto-adapted meal for them each week; more than that might be too much for them.

When I went to get the containers for the bulk peanut butter and almond butter and the grocery bags from the Crosstrek, I decided to check the charge on the battery. It has been nearly 3 weeks since I last plugged it in and since I can't leave the house for another 10 days I have not plugged it in again. While I was in the car getting the bags, I checked; it was full!


As I was straightening up my room today I found the Christmas present that Jenny gave me a few months ago. It was a little bag to hold the Wet Wipes that I would use every day that I walked to clean up before I went in to Maunalani to sit with Dad. She had even included a pack of Wet Wipes in it. Because I used Wet Wipes all the time I had several packs before all the hoarding began.
 
This evening before dinner all the cats went out to the cat run to lounge around in the sun. Later in the evening only Luna was out.
S'mores watches Luna in the cat run; Keala is also out there.

Dinner tonight was homemade laulau; apparently Dylan had made a bunch while I was away and given us some. The Roommates put it in the freezer & decided to eat it tonight. Thanks, Dylan!


The white & orange tabby that has been coming by to fight with Luna came by again. When I heard it I went out & saw it in the neighbor's yard, I  sprayed it with the water bottle; it left. It came back a few minutes later at the gate end of the cat run; when I went out it jumped to the top of the fence, then leaped to the neighbor's roof and left. It came back 3 more times! It did start to get the message that when the light went on someone was going to come out and spray it with water.


Check-in has become a little boring. I anticipate my answers, and their response, will be the same for the next 9 days; so I will only post another photo if it differs significantly from this one. On the last day there should be a different message.

There were 4 new COVID-19 cases today, bringing the total up to 584 known cases. So far 55 people have needed hospitalization; the death toll remains at 10. The number of people released from isolation is now up to 72%. They have changed the ZCTA map; I think the new scale makes it more difficult to see exactly what's going on. Testing has continued, now 1.8% of the population has been tested. One of the requirements on easing distancing measures & shut downs is better & more testing. I have heard that Hawai'i has the 3rd highest testing rate behind New York & California; if so, that means it will be a while before things get lifted!






Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Carole & Heather!

No comments:

Post a Comment