Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Indian Butter Chicken

I made a recipe from Easy Everyday Keto for dinner this evening, Indian Butter Chicken. It was delicious! And relatively easy to do. I will have to make this more often ... after I get a real food processor. All we have is a little "Food Chopper" with a 1&1/2 cup capacity which I used to chop 1 pound of cauliflower into rice sized granules. Don't get me wrong, it worked very well, in small batches, but after the 2nd batch it broke! I was able to fix it and finish chopping the cauliflower but we need to replace it.

This is how much it can chop well at one time; about half the max fill capacity.
Duct tape to the rescue!
Looks like rice!
Cauliflower Rice.
Indian Butter Chicken.
'Ono!

Even though I am on the ketogenic diet which is low in carbs, I decided I wanted cheesecake from Otto Cake for dessert with tonight's meal. I had visited Otto Cake back in November when I was walking around Kaimukī while waiting for Dad's car to be serviced; I told Otto I would be back when I am off the low carb diet. But a couple night's ago they had a piece on the evening news. Otto was not able to get one of the Federal loans meant to help small businesses survive the stay-at-home orders and was going to have to shut down his 30-year old business; he put a call out on his Instagram page for help staying a float while he waited for news on his other loan application. So I decided once a week I will forego my ketogenic diet and treat The Roommates and myself to a piece of Otto Cake cheesecake. Today's choices were: lemon coconut, key lime, apple nut, haupia, mocha, pineapple macnut, coconut cream, peanuts & beer, orange chocolate chip, green tea, lilikoi, kahlua, amazing plain, and POG. FYI He has 286 different flavors, but usually has 9 available for sale by the slice. He also takes advance orders for whole ones; right now those are booked out until May 14th! The Potential Most Favorite Roommate left the house about 10:45 to get in line for the 11 am opening; he texted us a photo of how long the line was when he arrived! It's a tiny shop so they only let 1 person in at a time in order to comply with the physical distancing; it took him 41 minutes to get in to the shop. It was delicious! I won't mind sacrificing my keto diet once a week to help Otto!

The line at opening. (Photo by The Potential Most Favorite Roommate)
L to R: 2 pieces POG, Apple nut, and Green tea.

I had a late start to my morning; I'm not sure why I got up so late. But I need to start waking up earlier so that I can be ready for when I am done with quarantine. The stay-at-home order encourages you to still get exercise and promotes walking, so I will be doing my sunrise walk once I am able to leave the house again. For that I was getting up an hour before sunrise and leaving the house 30 minutes before sunrise. Today sunrise was at 6:06 am; which means a really crappy photo!
One hundred & one minutes past sunrise.

Today was the 3rd to the last Papa ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi; only 2 more classes left. I am going to miss these classes. But wait! There might be more! Kumu Paige and Kumu Ākea asked people to send a quick email to the ASUH who sponsored this class to let them know how we feel about it. Today we learned about the use of kēia and mau as well as words for various members of our ʻohana.



The ʻŌlelo Noʻeau for the day.





The different articles we have learned.
ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi for the different family members.

Like many other languages ʻOlelo Hawaiʻi differentiates age & gender of siblings.


Language is always evolving; these are more modern terms used for sister & brother..

They also told us about an on line event coming up tomorrow about incorporating ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi in every day life. I am going to try to watch it.


I moved Keala's feeder; it used to be in the laundry room where I originally had her isolated before I took her to the vet.I moved it because when I got back I filled the feeder and a couple days later it was way down, much more than Keala would have been allowed. It turns out Luna & S'mores have been going to her feeder and prying the doors open to get more food once they are locked out of their feeder. With the 2 feeders more visible, they won't be able to get in to Keala's feeder as easily.
Kealaʻs feeder is the one on the left.

I watched the short video, Why getting the U.S. back to normal in the next couple months is a 'fantasy' on PBS News Hour. It is an interview with New York Times reporter Donald McNeil who has covered epidemics for almost 20 years. He explains the epidemiological and medical realities of COVID-19 and why it will take more than 2 or 3 months for us to safely get back to 'normal'.


There were 6 new COVID-19 cases today, bringing the total up to 592; we also go back to square 1 for the 14 days of decreasing or steady number of new cases. The good news is that mortalities have remained at 12 and the number of people released from isolation has increased to 75%. Almost 2% of the population has been tested and the rate of positives has remained low at 2.2% of those tested. With the limited reopening of parks, Mayor Caldwell has also said there would be increased testing done in order to be able to provide a better idea of whether it was a good idea to relax those restrictions. In any case, we need more testing. A lot more.







Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Bill, Norton Younglove, Devin, & Aaliyah! Today would have been Shiro & Momo's 19th birthday, RIP Boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment