Monday, April 13, 2020

Prepping for Another Visit

So it looks like I might be coming back sooner than later. At first Laurel was thinking there would not be a service this year due to the SARS-CoV-2 virus and there would just be a memorial net year during Obon. Then people could make plans to be here next year, and hopefully the mandatory 14-day quarantine would be over. But then she said she had people asking about something now, so we talked about doing the 49-day service, which would fall on May 30th or 31st. If that is the case I would return 2 weeks before the celebration so that I cold be out of the 14-day quarantine so I could attend the service. When I mentioned checking the cost to ship my car over to avoid the rental cost for 3 weeks, Bill said they could pick me up and take me to the house. Then when I was out of quarantine they would take me back to Kona to get a rental car; no sense paying for a rental car to sit around for 2 weeks!

I stopped by at Arakaki Store to tell them about Uncle Kazu's passing; he lived a few houses down the road on the opposite side of the road. I also decided to pick up some things to put in the freezer or the cabinets to get me ready for quarantine. They had microwave pork rinds! They also still had toilet paper and also hand wipes!
This will get me started along with some fresh eggs from Toto!
I won't have to go to Waimea for microwave pork rinds!
Or Marysville for Quadratini.

This is what it looked like when I got up this morning. The Saffron Finch was not singing yet but started shortly after this.
Forty-one minutes before sunrise.

And here's what it looks like in the evening as the sun is setting.
Thirty-nine minutes before sunset.

Here are some photos I took yesterday showing the current day scenes that Tomiko highlighted in her show, Passage. These are of the front of the house, the road as it goes downhill from the house, and a key to a closet door.
Not sure when this was taken, probably around 1989 near the start of the series. (Photo by Tomiko)
This was later, the ironwoods in the back by the old cane haul road are much larger. (Photo by Tomiko)
Now; the fence has been added to keep the feral pigs out and there is a ramp for accessibility.
I love the shadows! (Photo by Tomiko)
I should have waited for the same light.
At the end of the driveway, looking downhill. (Photo by Tomiko)
Not much looks like it has changed since then.
The key to Grandma's closet door. (Photo by Tomiko)
That space no longer exists since the doorway was widened for accessibility.
But I found the key hanging in the sewing room.

I decided to put little things in the path that the pigs have been using to let me know if they are still using those even after Grey patched the fence. I also put some leaves under the gate to see if they are crawling under it to get in. I will check first thing tomorrow morning.
I put the leaflet across the path to see it the pigs are still sneaking in this way.
I put these under the gate to see if they are crawling under.

There were 5 new cases reported today, bringing the total known COVID-19 cases up to 504; a milestone of sorts. Deaths and hospitalizations remain the same as yesterday but the number of known cases on Hawai'i Island increased by 1. The number of people released from isolation went up by 5 but remains at 62%. The epidemiological curve is still missing data on about 22% of the known cases. And 1.4% of the population has now been tested, assuming they did not recount people who were tested additional times to clear them at the end of their isolation period. (The title of their graph seems to imply that the count is for separate individuals.)





Hauʻoli lā Hānau e hoahānau Baron! Me ka Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanaʻo #46 e Mary Ellen & Michael!

1 comment: