Friday, November 8, 2019

Veterans Celebration

Maunalani held their Veterans Day celebration today. A lot of the residents are veterans so they do a really good job celebrating them. At the main reception area was a photo display, in the hallway there was a display highlighting each veteran and included a section honoring residents who had passed away since the previous celebration. Besides the program honoring them, each veteran received certificates of recognition from Governor Ige, Mayor Caldwell, U. S. Senators Hirono and Schatz, and U. S. Representatives Case and Gabbard.


Honoring Dad's former roommate, Mr. Yamada.
Some of the veterans and some soldiers from the 100th Battalion 442nd Infantry Regiment.
Dad receives his certificates from Col. Mills (Ret.) and Lynn.
Dad with Col.Mills (Ret.) and Lynn.

After the ceremony there was a lunch for the veterans and a guest of theirs. Dad started with the steak, shrimp, asparagus, and baked potato; the kitchen had chopped his food up for him. Although the steak was very tender, Dad was not able to chew it. He wanted his peanut butter & banana sandwich; the kitchen was more than happy to provide one for him. Dad did not turn down the desserts, there was cake & ice cream for Mr. Watanabe's birthday and cheesecake.
My lunch.
Dad with the special lunch.
Dad with his favorite lunch.

On the news this evening they featured the event! And there was a great 2 second clip of Dad! There were also good shots of Mr. Omiya, Mr. Izon, and Lynn who was the keynote speaker.




My day started as usual with a walk at sunrise. On the drive up I saw Ona walking by herself, later I saw The Runner, Suzanne & Joanne were walking with Cody & Rollie, and Mary was on her way down Lurline. During my walk I saw Kavita, I saw Laure & The Dog Pack twice, I also saw Alex & Satin whom I usually see during my mid-morning walk. Later I saw Ona on her way home, Suzanne, Joanne, Cody & Rollie were also on their way home. And Kelly drove by on his way to surf. During my cool down stretches I saw Ken with Toto & Chico and Lorraine. And Popokilani came by, too.
Twenty-five minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Thirteen minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Two minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
Popokilani.

When I walked by the house at Lanipoko I could see that they had relocated some of the concrete blocks. They were preparing to build the walls.


Dad was eating breakfast in the Orchid Dining Room when I got in. He was sharing a table with Mr. Watanabe. Both were dressed for the celebration.


After Dad went back to bed, I left to run errands and get the Subaru checked out; the low tire warning light came on yesterday and the dealer couldn't get me in for about 2 weeks. I took the Subaru to Harding 76, they got me checked out in 30 minutes. In the meanwhile I dropped Kai's birthday package off at the Post Office. Then I decided to walk around the block and make a list of the restaurants & other sources of food nearby. There were 3 dessert places in a row that I had not heard of before: Otto Cake, Sconees, and Chocolate & Vanilla. I will have to check them out once I am off the low-carb diet. Otto Cake specializes in cheesecakes, Sconees has scones, and Chocolate & Vanilla carries a variety of desserts.
Getting ready to check the spare tire.
Cheesecakes at Otto Cake.
You can buy it by the slice or get a whole one.
The empty case at Sconees; during the last hour you can get a bag at half price.
The goodies at Chocolate & Vanilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment