Monday, July 27, 2020

First Day of Class

Today was the first day of the contact tracing training; I think I am really going to enjoy it! It's a 3 hour class but sure did not feel like it. There is a wide cross-section of the community represented in the class of 35. Although many have a health care or health education background, about 1/3 do not. There is going to be a lot of watching videos and reading between classes; there are also quizzes and group discussions. In fact, we already have one tonight.





I wasn't quite sure whether there would be class today or not; while I was watching the news last night the news ticker across the bottom said UH classes on Oʻahu & Kauaʻi were canceled on Monday. I had gotten an email from Nicole on Saturday, about 5 in the morning. Among other things she said, "Your professors will keep you posted on how class will take place this week especially those that are on Monday and Tuesday." About 9 that evening I got an email from the instructor, she closed with, "Finally, please look out for a Zoom invitation to join our first class session at 10 am on Monday, July 27th, 2020." So it sounded like class was on!




My sunrise walk today was much drier than yesterday; I was able to do my entire walk this morning! I saw Fred twice, as well as Lynnette, Mary & Noe twice. I saw Romeo with Karpo & Lily by their house. I also saw Loy at the bus stop and later as he was going by in the bus. I saw Ona & Rio in the distance as I was going up Lurline. I also saw Lorraine in the distance as I was nearing the end of my walk and she was coming up Sierra. While I was doing my cool down stretches I saw Steph passing by. As I was leaving I saw Lynnette & Noe on their way down Lurline in the drizzle. I also saw Lorraine going down Monterey with Yan & Lucky. I also saw Shiro snoozing in front of his house.
Twenty-seven minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Fifteen minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Five minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
Shiro.

Hurricane Douglas skimmed by Kauaʻi about midnight last night. It was apparently the closest a hurricane has come by the islands without making landfall. We dodged a bullet!


There were 28 new COVID-19 cases reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 1711. The state indicated that the number was lower than the past 3 days because no testing was done on Saturday or Sunday due to the hurricane coming in. There were no new deaths reported today. The cases that have been released from isolation has now dropped to a little less than 70%.






Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Rachel! Me ka hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanao e Eleta & Trish!

No comments:

Post a Comment