Thursday, July 23, 2020

Slowest TSA Scanner Ever

Today was my last day for this visit. This time the Safe Travels QR code worked perfectly! There was no delay at all. I was first in line at the temperature station and at the TSA scanner station. Then the line slowed down. I swear it wasn't me and my multiple containers of food! In my carry-on I only had 2 bags of lychee, 2 containers of mountain apple (several were in my metal water bottle), granola, macadamia nuts, 2 papayas, and 2 guavas; most of the produce is for Lori & Jenny. The mountain apples in my metal water bottle were not what he wanted to look at again. It was the Anker PowerCore 26800 battery pack; they even took it out of the backpack to scan it again. I have had it since the end of February 2019 and have gone through TSA with it in my backpack about 16 or 17 times before and it has never been an issue. Āue!
This was not the culprit and it worked well to keep the mountain apples from getting squashed.

I got up at 6 as usual this morning. The sun was rising through patchy clouds.
Six minutes after sunrise.
Twenty-two minutes after sunrise.

The morning was spent doing all the things I do when I close up, plus planting the ha and doing a load of very dirty laundry; I almost forgot and left the laundry hanging when I left. Basically I washed the things I used to clean the floors with yesterday; now they will be clean for my next visit. Changing the sheets on my bed is also part of closing up; I haven't decided whether I like changing it the day before I leave so I can wash them then and not hauling sheets with me or vice versa. Today having the dirty sheets helped with cushioning some of the produce I took with me in my suitcase; like the half a head of cabbage and the bag of salad. I did bring a lot with me since I am going to be gone for at least 6 weeks. I didn't see the cats this morning; I left a little extra food for them.

Since I had a couple packages to mail I thought about taking the coast road because it's faster, but the post office was really quick. Then dropping off the 2 bags of garbage was also fast, so I took the mountain road instead. There was a little road work going on but it was between the house & the dump so I needed to go that way any way. I'm glad I took the mountain road.
At the dump.
Roadwork on the mountain road.

Corey was the shuttle van driver again. If I can't return for the next 5 months at least, I may have a harder time recognizing her when I return. In November they will be evaluating her for bariatric surgery.
I think this is the same car I had on the last trip.

As I was nearing the airport I got a call from Joy; she had questions about when Arlene should get a COVID-19 PCR test to make sure she didn't pick up anything while on the plane. Although the incubation period ranges from 2 to 14 days, if people are going to be symptomatic most will begin to show symptoms by the 5th day after exposure. Joy & Wayne want to make sure she's not bringing anything in to the household since Wayne has to go to work.

I have started making my reservations leaving KOA between 4:30 and 5 pm. When I made it for the mid-afternoon flight about 3 pm, they kept changing it, pushing it back to this time. I think it was because this is the flight the construction guys take so it always has a good turnout. I prefer the 3 pm flight because it is about lunch time after I have made it through TSA, but I have adjusted to the later time.
Gardenburger; I should probably get a real burger since it has less carbs.
Hearts & Flowers in the landscaping!
There used to be a solid wall where the barriers are now.

The plane seemed to be a little fuller this time than my last KOA to HNL flight. There seemed to be less construction guys and more regular travelers.


I was so busy closing up the house and getting to the airport I didn't see the news about Douglas or the record high new COVID-19 cases. Hurricane Douglas has now been upgraded to a Category 4 hurricane with maximum sustained winds up to 130 mph. It is about 1,100 miles east-southeast of Hilo and expected to reach us on Sunday.


The Roommates were more relaxed this year than last year about an approaching hurricane. Getting the impact-resistant windows has helped a lot to decrease their anxiety. Yesterday they went around the yard and picked things up to reduce flying objects. Today they were concerned about the rubbish cans; I had them move the cans to the back patio where there are walls on 3 sides to minimize the effects of the wind. The last thing they need to move is the potted plants; they will probably be put on the shelves in the garage.

There were 55 new COVID-19 cases today, bringing the total known cases up to 1490. There was also 1 new death and 1 new hospitalization reported today. About 75% of the cases have been released from isolation.


Three new cases on the island but no mention of a cluster in the north end.



Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Beverly!

No comments:

Post a Comment