Tuesday, July 7, 2020

I Don't Always Knit ...

... but when I do, it's epic! I got Doomsday Knits: Projects for the apocalypse and after from Cooperative Press today; I had ordered it in mid-May. There was a delay in shipping due to such a large demand for it; I guess there are a lot of knitters staying-at-home. The book starts with an "Identify Your Apocalypse" flow chart.


Here are the different patterns in the book.

But that wasn't the only thing that arrived today; there were 3 boxes. I also received 2 keto cookbooks. These are by the Keto Connect couple; I like the recipes I find on their website so I decided to help support them by buying their books. There are some really great-sounding recipes in the books.



I also got a bottle of Adams Interior Detailer; I'm not getting it to keep my car looking sharp. I got it because it contains Microban, a compound that helps control the amount of bacteria on surfaces; I was actually looking for the Microban24 spray. After the MRC support services deliveries Susan cleans her car with disinfecting wipes; I thought a spray would be more effective at covering a larger area quickly. I was not able to find the spray in stores nearby so I checked online and found this instead. The FAQ page for Microban24 says that their product was effective against other human coronaviruses so is assumed it will work for disinfecting surfaces that have SARS-CoV-2; however, it will not provide subsequent 24-hour protection. I went ahead and wiped the car down anyway and plan on doing it after every delivery. My car will also look nice!


I slept through the wake-up alarm this morning, but I did get up after several snoozes of the leave-the-house alarm. I'm not sure why I'm so tired these past couple of days.


This morning I got a call from Whitney at the Board of Water Supply; she had questions about my paperwork for changing the automatic payment to the new account. She said I needed Mom's signature since she her name is on the account. Because Mom is deceased I now have to make an appointment in person to change the account name; I need to provide a death certificate plus paperwork showing that I have paid the past 3 water bills. When we first started talking about an appointment, she offered me an 8 am appointment; I asked for one no earlier than 10 since I had a 2 hour drive time. She said I could also make the change in Waimea and gave me the number for that office. I will be going in next Tuesday to make that change.

I went to the bank and the credit union to make deposits this morning. On my way to the credit union I walked passed The Cookie Corner; they had a cute sign about mask wearing.


I tried the Veggie Tots the other day but forgot to give you a review of them; I had heated them up in the microwave. I tried them today at lunch in the air fryer; then at dinner in the oven. The directions on the bag recommend the oven; it was the best out of the 3 ways I tried them. The texture was almost as good in the air fryer as it was in the oven. I strongly recommend against using the microwave.


After lunch I noticed the Roomba was missing; I tracked it down. It was in the living room visiting with the other Roomba. It got in to the living room because the cats had knocked the virtual Wall barrier over. I'm not sure why it never found its way back to its base; its battery was dead. I checked the rubbish bin, it was full.



OMG! We had 41 new COVID-19 cases today! This is the highest ever since the pandemic started. Our total known cases is now up to 1071. There have been no new deaths or hospitalizations; LG Green said that the number of hospitalizations lags about 2 weeks behind the rise in new cases.





During the press conference, officials said the spike appears to be due to people becoming complacent and not wearing masks, physically distancing, or using proper hand hygiene; none of these are due to any 4th of July gatherings which they say will show up in about another week. There was only one new cluster of 9 at another gym and 3 additional cases associated with a known cluster; most of the other cases were not found via contact tracing. They are also carefully watching the numbers of new cases in various states; they hinted at a possibility of the August 1st lifting of trans-pacific quarantine being delayed.




Several of the questions asked during the press conference were about testing and contact tracing; the implication in the question was that more testing & tracing needed to be done to stop the disease. Dr. Park clarified that only doing testing and contact tracing will only slow the spread of COVID-19 in the state, not stop it; personal responsibility to wear masks, practice physical distancing, and proper hand hygiene are what will help stop transmission. The way I look at it, testing & contact tracing is basically closing the barn door after the horse has gotten out. They are needed because the disease has spread; they are not a preventive measure.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau e ʻAnakala Howie, John, & Kaʻohe!

No comments:

Post a Comment