Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Brown Booby

The bird I picked up today was a Brown Booby (Sula leucogaster); I took it from Feather & Fur to the airport. Which doesn't sound too complicated and it usually isn't; but today it was really busy at Feather & Fur. Because of protocols to keep people 6 feet or more apart and reduce exposure, when you go to a veterinary office you must stay in your car and call in to let them know you are there; the staff then comes out to pick up or drop off your furry family member. Or in my case the feathered friend. When I called in today I got put on hold for 15 minutes; I've never had that happen before. Then after I told them I was there for the booby it took another 10 minutes or so for the bird to actually be brought out. But the tech walked over to another car across the alley (there were no spaces left in the F&F parking lot) and tried to give it to that person! I had to run after him to get the booby! Aue!
This is the best photo I was able to get of the Brown Booby.

This lady has a pet Common Mynah, one of the 100 most invasive animals in the world.

Fortunately, things went smoothly at the Ag Inspection and I was able to make it to Hawaiian Air Cargo in time to get the bird on the proper flight. When I stepped into the lobby at Hawaiian Air Cargo I saw their sign about limiting the number of people there; I was number 5!




I woke up with a sore throat this morning so I skipped the walk. It's been 6 days since I was on the airplane in closer proximity to a bunch of people for whom I do not know their self-preservation habits and for a longer period of time than is necessary for one to be considered a "close contact". Most people develop symptoms in 5.2 days. Or at least that was the average a couple months ago, I'm not really sure if that has been updated. I would rather be cautious about exposing my friends to anything I might have.

This evening was the 2nd to last Papa ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi for the summer session. Besides review of things we have been going over recently, nā kumu also went over how to order beverages and food at hale inu kope. They started with information about other Hawaiian language & culture classes and events available through the Kawaihuelani Center for Hawaiian Language; I am going to be checking that out. In my spare time ...







Next week is the last class in this session. Kumu Paige and Kumu Ākea will be taking a 2 week break, then classes start up again. I have not heard yet whether they will be online or in person; I am hoping for online.


They also talked about Lā Hoʻihoʻi Ea, Sovereignty Restoration Day, a national holiday in the Hawaiian Kingdom celebrated on July 31st. They played a clip from Paʻa ke Aupuni: The Reel History of Hawaiʻi, an animated film that provides, "key facts explaining how the Hawaiian Kingdom came to be, how it evolved to stand firmly on the international world stage of sovereign nations, and how the United States came to claim Hawai‘i." Lā Hoʻihoʻi Ea is specific to the British attempt to take over Hawaiʻi and is the source of the State motto: Ua Mau ke Ea o ka ʻĀina i ka Pono, The sovereignty of the land is perpetuated in righteousness. My Da Coconut Wireless show that was on July 31st was dedicated to Lā Hoʻihoʻi Ea and the sovereignty movement.

Richard Charlton claimed a piece of land as belonging to him.
When the king, Kauikeaouli aka Kamehameha III, opposed him, Charlton went to Lord George Paulet.
Paulet threatened to attack, Kauikeaouli relented in order to keep peace.
Paulet claimed Hawaiʻi for the United Kingdom.
Kauikeaouliʻs delegation appealed to Queen Victoria who sent Admiral Richard Thomas to investigate.

Admiral Thomas ended the British occupation.
The site where the Hawaiian flag was raised is now a park named Thomas Square in honor of Admiral Thomas.
The phrase in his celebratory speech Kauikeauoli became the motto of the kingdom and later the state.


Kama chose this ʻŌlelo Noʻeau in honor of the resiliency of the people of Hawaiʻi in the face of the pandemic as well as the recent hurricane.


As always, we started with a review. This allows new people to start learning what we have already covered.










Then we moved on to "new" material. We had actually gone over most of this in the first semester back in February in Papa ʻEono. This time they added numbers, how to ask about paying for your order, and also saying that you did not want something; all things we have learned since February.










This is the English way of asking.
This is a more Hawaiian way.

Can you guess what the popular items are? Answers in tomorrowʻs post!
Can you guess what these are? Answers tomorrow!
























The Hawai'i Conservation Conference registration is open; it will be held virtually from September 1st thru 3rd. I had wanted to go to the conference and attend the session that is going to be conducted in Hawaiian. But I will still  be in class for the Community Contact Tracing Training so I will be very busy for 2 of the days.

This afternoon I got an email from Marjorie about the need for more MRC volunteers to help with Support Services. Unfortunately, I won't be able to help out since I am in class 4 days a week.


The Governor held a press conference today because we had another record large spike in COVID-19 cases. A bunch due to 2 bars not following the protocols developed for bars and restaurants, another due to a large funeral where people did not distance themselves or wear masks. Although the healthcare system is handling all cases right now, things may be changing and getting tighter again in order to keep our numbers low so that hospitals do not become overwhelmed.









There were several articles about outbreaks in various places today. Another nursing home had a staff member that tested positive; but like 2 other nursing homes it was isolated to one staff member who did not work with residents. A fire fighter tested positive so all other fire fighters on that shift at that station are now in self-isolation.


So what was that new record? There were 109 new COVID-19 cases reported today! Aue! No wonder they are concerned! All except 2 were on Oʻahu; the others were on Maui so it is looking like the guy in Kohala did not infect anyone else. This surge has resulted in more new hospitalizations but no new deaths.







Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Jim & Jennifer! A me ka Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanao ʻeha e Anne & Mary Kay!

No comments:

Post a Comment