Tuesday, September 1, 2020

COVID Testing in the Tunnel

I got a COVID-19 test today; I went to the H-3 surge testing site in the Harano Tunnel. I think it was an excellent idea to use H-3 for the testing! I went in the morning, stopping on the freeway at 9:12, which was just after they had started testing at 9 am. I was about 1.5 miles from the tunnel. It took me 91 minutes to go from the end of the line to the entrance of the tunnel. In the tunnel it took 13 minutes from the time I entered until I was done with the self-swab and deposited my test kit in the contact-free bucket. It actually took me longer after I dropped off my test kit to drive out of the tunnel, 15 minutes, than it took me to enter the tunnel & finish the swab since the speed limit is kept low as you exit for the safety of the workers and other drivers.

Coming up to the end of the line.
This adult & child were walking to one of the porta-potties along the way.








Every so often a police officer would slowly ride by.
I was able to get a good look at the mass wasting off the side of the freeway.

At the first stop you got your test kit; they verify info & write it on the collection vial.

I checked that they put my info on the vial.
At the next station a staff person walks you through the process.
After the completed test is collected you leave the test area.
There was room for a lot more test stations.

The end of the tunnel; there was no traffic in the town-bound lanes.

This is the tunnel on the Likelike; it would not have been usable for testing.

I watched a press conference after I returned; it was taped about an hour after I had left and at that time it was only a 10 minute wait to get from the end of the line to the tunnel entrance. Apparently they have about 30 people in the beginning getting you started with taking your printed confirmation notice that has your contact information and writing the identification information on the vials, followed by another 50 actually walking you through the swabbing procedure and collecting the swabs. You actually do the swabbing yourself with the windows rolled up; I think this is good since it minimizes exposure for the workers at the testing stations.
What it looked like from the air.
And on the ground.

 
When I was there, I did not know until I saw the press conference, but they were taking groups of about 30 cars and routing them to the other side of the tunnel because there was no line from the Kaneohe-side of the tunnels. I think using H-3 was an excellent idea! The traffic jam was minimal and the workers were safe and cool in the tunnel.

Hau'oli la hanau e Mary & Justin! A me ka Hau'oli la Ho'omana'o e Mike & Marilyn! A me ka e David * Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment