Monday, September 21, 2020

Kokua Kalihi Valley Comprehensive Family Services

This morning I did grocery shopping and a delivery for MRC with Lawrene. It was about 5 minutes away from Kokua Kalihi Valley Comprhensive Family Services, so I stopped by to pick up an application since I had not heard back from the email I sent a week ago. On your way in the door you are stopped and your temperature is checked. If you pass, a sticker is placed on you to indicate that you have passed the temperature check; you also have to answer the standard screening questions. At the front desk they weren't exactly sure who to send me to, the receptionist asked to see the email, then had me call so she could forward my call to Human Resources. A short while later someone from HR came down with an application for me.
Everyone gets one of these after passing the temperature check.
They cover the buttons with plastic sheeting.

I've been on Facebook a lot more than usual because of classes I'm taking and the group for those of us who have graduated from the Community Contact Tracing Training. There is a lot of interesting information that people are posting; it is also a way to support each other. Today while I was on my home page I saw a post from my friend Monava that is quite accurate.


As I was initially preparing my lunch today I was all alone in the kitchen. Less than a minute after I opened the can of sardines I was suddenly very popular! Luna showed up first, closely followed by Keala. But no Sʻmores, perhaps she doesn't like sardines?
Where's my lunch?


For dinner I used the eggplant and one of the baby pac choi from the CSA box to make Keto Roasted Eggplant Curry; the recipe is from the Carb Manager app that I use. It was supposed to be Keto Roasted Eggplant & Zucchini Curry but I did not want to buy more vegetables since we just got our CSA box. When I make it again I am going to make small slits in the eggplant skin before I roast the rounds; the skin did not soften up with the roasting so there were long strings of eggplant skin holding the eggplant pieces together after it was cooked. Other than that it was good even with the baby pac choi in place of the zucchini. (I didn't roast the pac choi.)

The macros
The raw ingredients.
Simmering on the stove.
Ready to eat!

The old Mac lasted about 1 & 1/2 days without a charge! I was pleased that it lasted that long, although I wasn't using it much. Not sure how ling it would last if I was using it.

Time to plug it in again.

Today was Papa 'Ōlelo Hawaiʻi day! We are on Papa ʻElua Kau Hāʻule Lau. We learned about more rooms of the house and helpful phrases about being in a house and going to a party (when the pandemic is over!). Here are some highlights.


We did a little pronunciation practice; it can significantly change the meaning of a word.


As we were doing this exercise I virtually met someone who lives in Kohala! In one of my responses I mentioned Kapaʻau and Beth asked if I was in Kohala. I sent her a Facebook friend request; after class we messaged for a short while. Beth moved here from Colorado and has lived at Kohala Ranch for the past 5 years. She said she tried 2 other Hawaiian language classes but they both fizzled out.

I need to get one of these signs!
'Ao'ao is one of the new words I just learned on Duolingo.
I learned lumi several months ago on Duolingo.
Same with lumi moe and several of the other words for rooms.
This one was new.
As was this one.
And this one.
This one I learned last week in this class.
I learned this one on Duolingo.
This one is new.
Duolingo uses lua for this room.
This one is new.
This is where I'm sitting as I write this.
This is also new to me.

I learned huina and 'ao'ao hema on Duolingo.






Always thank your host!
Who will try to send you home with food!
Make sure you take the right ones!


Researchers are now studying the emergence of SARS-CoV-2 in Europe & North America in order to learn how to anticipate and prevent future outbreaks since the SARS virus is one of the viruses that more easily crosses between other animals and humans. They also looked at what factors were most successful in containing the spread and found that intensive testing and contact tracing could have contained the spread.
 


Here's a video on Contact Tracing Analytics to Support Agency Office Re-Openings. It goes through how a specific application called Qlik uses digital contact tracing. One of the things I didn't understand about this app is why people who had temperatures over 100.4 degrees F were still allowed to come in to the office; I thought temperatures were taken to screen out people with high temperatures and have them tested for COVID-19. In this scenario they are allowed to come in to the office until someone actually tests positive, then they see who that person came in to contact with in the time they were infectious; it didn't make that much sense to me.

Public health officials are anticipating a second wave of infections will occur as restrictions are relaxed when new case numbers decrease. Researchers modelled what would happen and what could keep things in check and found that physical distancing, robust testing, contact tracing, and quarantine could control the spread while allowing business to remain open. 


England & Wales will be releasing a contact tracing app in a couple of days. In this system QR codes will be posted at businesses and it appears that people will scan them with their phones when they visit the business. It then appears that it works with the National Health Service's Test and Trace service. A potential problem beta users noted was that it did not appear to be compatible with all phones. 
 

I have signed up for a webinar tomorrow on a different app in the US examining how user privacy data will be protected. I figure I should find out what's out there to help with contact tracing.

The LG seems to be over his COVID-19. He says his fever has subsided and he is feeling better. But he has chose to remain quarantined for a couple more days. He held a Q & A later in the evening talking about how the state has been doing, going from about 2000 total cases in May up to over 11,000 now. He stressed the effectiveness of wearing masks, having 400 to 500 contact tracers to quickly trace all contacts, being able to do 10,000 tests per day, and practicing physical distancing.
He's looking less tired than he did a couple days ago.


There were 56 new COVID-19 cases reported today, bringing the total up to 11,459. There were no new deaths reported so that total remains at 120.






Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Joan, Terri, & Pramila!

No comments:

Post a Comment