Saturday, September 26, 2020

Keto Supplies

I went shopping at Sam's Club with The Potential Most Favorite Roommate this morning. We picked up staples for the house; I also got a bunch of things to help with my keto-carb cycling diet. I picked up the keto nut mix but also found they make another keto nut mix with coconut; but even better, I found it in single serving bags! I also got pistachios in single serving bags. Even though it costs more, I decided to use the single serving bags in order to more easily meter out how much I am eating. I usually pour it out into a small cup that has a 1/4 cup mark on it but can easily overfill it if I am not paying attention, whether on purpose or not...
We didn't get this; I just found the marketing a little weird.
The groceries; The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes has chicken nuggets & waffles for most lunches.
Some pf my keto supplies.

When I got home I split up the fajita meat in to 2 serving size lots; I kept 2 out to eat within the next 5 days (that's how long the bag said you should use it up by) & froze the rest. Each bag said a serving was 3 oz so I began divying up the chicken and thought the portion was really small! It then dawned on me why the chicken fajita was sold in a double bag that you cut apart but the beef fajita was not; beef is denser than chicken. Sure enough, the beef fajita bag weighed 24 oz, while each of the chicken fajita bags weighed 16 oz. So I opened up the 2nd chicken bag, too. I now have 10 bags with approximately 2 servings of meat in each; about 3 oz beef and about 3.2 oz chicken. I need to do a similar thing with the chicken sausage that I bought.

The bag said there were 11 servings; looked a little light for 3 ounces.
When I added the beef it became apparent the chicken was not 3 ounces.
After I added the 2nd bag it looked right.

This morning I woke up to find that someone, or perhaps more than one someone, had tried to open up the treat bags. Fortunately they do not have opposable thumbs and they were probably interrupted in their quest for treats. I have now put the treats into a kitty proof container.

Let's see them try to get in to this one!

I was with The Potential Most Favorite Roommate because he had to drop his car off for servicing. He had an 8:30 appointment so we left the house a little earlier than he normally would. When we were done with all the shopping he shared that he had not been a morning person before getting the job he has now and he is finding he likes that he has a lot more time to do his shopping and other chores!


For lunch I had salad made from the CSA items, chicken & beef fajita meat that I had just got from Sam's Club, and a hard boiled egg. This might become my standard lunch everyday except Sunday, which is the keto cheat day when I can eat carbs at lunch.


This morning we also picked up some things for dinner tomorrow night for The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes' birthday celebration. He likes Hawaiian food so we got lomi salmon and laulau; The Potential Most Favorite Roommate is going to make luau he'e and I will pick up some cheesecake tomorrow.

The Potential Most Favorite Roommate had picked up a whole raw octopus to make the luau he'e. He had never cleaned an octopus before but wanted to learn, so he found a YouTube video! He was watching it as he cleaned the octopus.
The Potential Most Favorite Roommate follows along with the video on how to clean an octopus.


In the afternoon a couple of The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes' friends did a drive-by birthday delivery. They dropped off a couple of balloons, a mini-Boston cream cake, and some home made moon cakes for him.
Mini-Boston bream cake.
I think it is an anpan made to look like a bear.

I tried one of the new keto snacks this afternoon; there are 2 kinds in the variety pack. I have already tried the Keto Snack Mix; the other one is called Choconut Keto Mix. The Keto Mix has 15g fat, 2 g net carbs, 7g protein, and 170 calories. The Choconut Keto Mix has 14g fat, 4g net carbs, 4g protein, and 160 calories. I think I will have to use them on non-carb days because of the amount of fat in them. There were no dark chocolate chips in the bag I ate today.

I checked on the nasturtiums today; they've been planted out since the 13th, so almost 2 weeks. One looks like it has adapted well to the new planting location and one looks like it is struggling. The 3rd one looks almost the same as it did the day I planted it! The fern that is at the edge of the shaded area looks like it is doing very well.
This one seems to be thriving.
This one is struggling.
This one looks like its just waiting.
The fern is looking healthy.

The last bud on the orchid The Roommates gave me when I completed the Contact Tracing Training has bloomed; now there are 9 flowers on the plant. It has been here a little over 3 weeks now.


Duolingo sent my weekly summary today. It says over the past week I have reviewed 310 words over abut 11 hours.


Dr. Fauci has warned about long-term effects of COVID-19; these survivors are called long haulers. They have lingering symptoms long after they are recovered from the virus. And even people who were asymptomatic have been found to have heart inflammation months after recovering from the disease. Studies have found that even as long as 6 weeks after leaving the hospital 88% of patients showed lung damage and 47% were still experiencing breathlessness. At 12 weeks, those numbers dropped to 56% and 39%, respectively. And 20% of 18-34 year-old patients were still not able to reach their baseline level health 3 weeks after diagnosis.


Researchers now believe that more infections are being caused by airborne particles than originally suspected. This would account for the superspreader events.


There were 127 new CODIV-19 cases reported today, bringing the total to 12,018. There were also 4 new deaths reported, bringing that total to 131; all deaths from the veterans home in Hilo have not yet been verified so there will be a big jump in deaths once that is resolved. For the Oʻahu, the 7-day new case average is 90. There has been a big decrease in active cases, that is now 1761, a drop from  6367 yesterday. Apparently, the DOH was not updating those figures. They say they now are now better able to handle the contact tracing.


LG Green is out of isolation and his family is out of quarantine. He still sent todays's FB live post from home, though he was in the living room and no longer in his son's bedroom.



If you have noticed that the statistics on this graphic are slightly different than some of the others, it's because this is only for the island of O'ahu; the Tiered Reopening Strategy is also only for O'ahu. This graphic provides the metrics for the reopening strategy in the 2 large boxes near the top of the graphic. The more important figure is the Average Daily Cases; the Mayor said he was not going to require a certain percent of positivity to affect the reopening. It appears to just be a number to aspire to.


The prototype dashboard is still labeled as such, but it does have the updated active cases number. Reports have said this is due to the work of the contact tracers in catching up with the backlog; i.e., the data has now been entered to remove a little over 4600 people from the active list. However, the data on how quickly they are getting to the new cases and contacts is still not being provided. The delay in updating the database is what probably caused the mix-up in the MRC delivery that I did a little over a week ago when we thought I got exposed to COVID-19.



Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Mimi, Yvonne, & Bill!

No comments:

Post a Comment