Thursday, May 27, 2021

Mahalo Nui Loa from DEM

Alicia called this afternoon to let me know she was forwarding a digital copy of a letter they received at DOH thanking staff for their work on the LCC PODs. Since I was one of the people specifically named, she thought I should have a copy of it.


Speaking of that trip in July, I started repacking my suitcase in preparation for it. I was in the middle of doing that when Alicia called about the letter. She also asked me if I would be interested in coming back to work for DOH for a couple of months; Melissa, Melvin, & Bernadette are already there but they would like 1 more person to help with correcting all the files we weren't able to find while we were doing the initial data entry at LCC. I told her I would have to think about it as I juggle both closing Dad's estate as well as helping Sarah, Evan, & Kaia move.

Note the stack of mosquito repellent coils!

 

Later in the day I checked on rental cars and found out that Alamo does not have any cars available during the period I am going to be on Hawaiʻi Island in July. Other rental places seem to also be having that problem.


I also checked on Craigslist to see what I could find there. Itʻs not any better; prices range from $200 per day )or $1400/wk) to $450 for a week.

This would be $525/wk but it's the wrong time frame.
This would be $1400/week.
I like this one best so far! Only $450/week.
This one is $1750/week; I think some people are getting a little greedy.
 

When I was leaving Moku o Keawe 5 days ago I was rushing at the end to get out of Kapaʻau before the high school graduation. I had seen people setting things up along the highway for a drive-by graduation but I didn't know what time it would be. I found out this morning when I was reading The Kohala Mountain News to see what I had missed since last year. I was well ahead of the drive-by part which started at 4 pm; I left just before 2 pm.


I think I am going to be shipping the Crosstrek to Hawaiʻi Island for a couple of weeks; it will be cheaper than renting a car from either a real car rental place or a private owner. I just need to figure out exactly when I need to drop off the car at Young Brothers and when to pick it up in Kawaihae. I'll be calling tomorrow to get the specific information. I'll also have to coordinate with Bill for a pick up at the airport.


Later in the afternoon Ben called; he also sent a bunch of photos of the work they were doing today. Some of the things were completed but most were still in progress. When he's done he will send me an address where to send the check.

In progress: Adding blocking before screening mosquitos out.
In progress: Adding blocking for retractable clothesline.
Done: Switch & put larger fixture in bedroom.
Done: Switch & put smaller fixture in hallway.
Not started yet: Add board to top of rolling cart to support dehydrator.
In progress: Replace & repair rotted boards in ramp to front door.

For dinner I had the vegetarian tamales that I got for Sarah earlier. I like these; I would buy them again.


Here are the rentals I sent to Sarah late last night and earlier today. One is for free housing in a studio in exchange for 20 hours/week of light work.

Would be close to HPA but only 1 bedroom.
This would be close by me but its only a studio; might be really tight with 2 adults & an active child.

The Aix weather app forecast a minimally cloudy day and it turned out to be correct.


Although I said yesterday that it was going to be last information I provided on Kīlauea unless it erupted again, the USGS provided an official video update on the end of the eruption. Here it is.


There were 58 new cases of COVID-19 reported today,  bringing the total known cases up to 36, 032. There were 2 new deaths reported today, bringing the death toll up to 498; currently there are 911 cases considered active. The 7-day new case average for Oʻahu is 37 with a 1.5% positivity rate.



No comments:

Post a Comment