Saturday, May 8, 2021

Sarah & Kaia Arrive

Back on Sunday, Evan had a brilliant idea to order a juicer for Sarah and have it waiting here for her since she did not have enough room in her luggage to bring her juicer. He was initially going to buy it and have it shipped here but found out how expensive that was. I asked if it was something we might find at Target or a similar place. He ended up ordering it online and had it waiting for me at the Target in Kona on Monday when I arrived. It was just about 15 minutes from the airport; the online order pick up area was conveniently (for me) located next to the bathrooms (I really needed to go). It worked out perfectly! And since it was a surprise for Sarah, I waited until now to give you the details so she wouldn't find out in case she read the blog! But Sarah found out anyway; Kaia knew about it and spilled the beans while they were still at home! (I didn't know Sarah knew until they arrived.)

 

The Saffron Finch was at it again this morning. I wonder why they get up so much earlier than the other birds? And why do they have to get up before sunrise? Why not wait a half hour or so until the sun comes up?

Birdrise 31 minutes before sunrise.
I got out of bed 37 minutes after sunrise.

I stopped in Kawaihae on my way to Kona to pick up Sarah & Kaia. Sarah has plans to go on a sea kayak trip to Kealakekua Bay State Historical Park on Monday so I wanted to pick up a dry bag for my phone since I broke the hinge on the charging door. It turns out the woman with Kohala Divers that I spoke with on the phone also has an S7 like mine so she knew they had one that would work. I also found out they have recertification classes; I think I will take one when I move here permanently.


I had left a little early so that I could stop at Kohala Divers, which meant I had some extra time on my hands. I waited in the cell phone lot at the airport. I never knew there was a limit on how long you could wait in the lot; this is the 1st time I have parked near the sign.


We went to the Parker Ranch Center food court for lunch. There are numerous restaurants there but we headed to Racha Thai since they had the largest selection of vegetarian options. We got Green Papaya Salad, Red Curry with Tofu, Turmeric Curry with Tofu, and Avocado Curry with Chicken. We also got 1 order each of Brown Rice, Sticky Rice, and Jasmine Rice.

Kaia admiring the painting on the honu carving at the entrance to the food court.
Clockwise from top: Turmeric Curry with tofu, Avocado Curry with chicken, & Red Curry with tofu.
Green Papaya Salad.

On our way in to the food court there were a bunch of ladies from a local club that were giving out bouquets of flowers to moms. They gave one to Sarah on her way out. 

We used my phone dry bag as a vase; it worked well to keep water in.

On our way into Waimea we passed the Waimea Park which  is home to the Anuenue Playground where there were a bunch of kids around Kaia's age playing. While Sarah & I ate lunch at one of the picnic tables, Kaia went to the playground.

The playground.
Kaia reluctantly returns to the picnic table.
But she said she wasn't hungry.

We went back to the Healthways II natural foods store for Sarah to pick up some things. Before we left the Parker Ranch Center parking lot we went to see the Ikua Purdy statue so Kaia & Sarah could learn about the paniolo.

Healthways II.

Kaia shows us her favorite brand.

Before dinner we picked a bucketful of Meyer Lemons. Most looked overripe; they were orange rather than yellow. But I found out later that when Meyer Lemons are ripe, they are an orangey color unlike other lemons which are yellow.

Ripe Meyer Lemons.
We left just as many on the tree!

After dinner Kaia just couldn't wait any longer & had to open the Mother's Day present that Lori sent over with them for me. It was a stuffed cookie & a bag of mixed nuts.


Sarah & I ended the evening with a hot mug of chaga tea; she had brought it with her for the cleanse that she was on. The eastern Europeans in the Snohomish County Mycological Society would hunt for these & make their own homemade tea. With a little bit of soymilk it was not that bad.


The Aix weather app forecast rainy weather all day. Fortunately, that did not turn out to be the case. It was sometimes cloudy but there was no precipitation today.


There were 91 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 33,126. There was also 1 new death reported, increasing the number of fatalities to 487; currently 1275 cases are considered active. 


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Traci & Evan!

No comments:

Post a Comment