Monday, August 16, 2021

And the Test Result Is ...

It turns out The Potential Most Favorite Roommate did not go to Kaiser this morning to get his COVID-19 test; it takes about 24 hours to get your result from Kaiser. He went to the facility at the airport which uses the rapid test; also a friend of his works there. His friend let him know his result as soon as his sample was tested; he was negative. Hulō! No need to isolate him!


I made a lau 'uala proothie this morning with the lau that we harvested a couple of days ago.


I started getting texts from Bruce this morning; something was wrong with his phone. He finally got it worked out & sent me a photo of Toby & Monava's hand plus a video of the same thing.


Keala caught another brown anole (Anolis sagrei) late this afternoon. In fact, it appears this was the 2nd one that she caught today; I did not see the 1st one but The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes saw it. She brought it in & let Luna play with it & it bit her! Luna was not happy about that!

Luna takes over playing with the lizard.
Keala watches as the lizard gets away from Luna.
Keala jumps in to action!
Keala moves it back towards the center of the room.
Keala lets Luna play again.

S'mores stayed outside.

Early this evening DT got a call from the principal at his school; an unvaccinated student in one of his classes tested positive for COVID-19. Auē! The parent of the Case notified the school today. The Case was last in school on Friday & was tested on Saturday; the school does not know if he was symptomatic. According to DT, the Case sits in the back of his band class, about 10 feet away from him & there are 3 portable air filters in the classroom. Since it was only the 2nd day of class they were not playing their instruments & everyone kept their mask on for the entirety of the 45 minute class. At this time the school is only notifying the one student that sits about 3 feet from the Case; all other students in DT's class sit 6 feet or more from the Case. The school has said since DT is vaccinated, he can choose to either get tested or wait until he shows symptoms; either way he is still allowed to show up at school. Because he has not been able to find a test site that has an appointment tomorrow or the next day, DT is choosing the "wait & see" option. At the house he is now wearing his mask, minimizing his time outside of his room, & disinfecting surfaces he touches. If the Close Contact student tests positive, then DT will quarantine until he can get a test that comes back negative. The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes is now the last one in the household who has not had a potential COVID-19 exposure.

The Most Excellent Cook had called before DT got the call about the COVID-19 exposure; they had changed their flight back from Maui & were now coming in at 6:45 p.m. We decided to have dinner after I picked them up. We went to the Barefoot Beach Cafe in Waikīkī. The Most Excellent Cook had the Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Plate, The Bronco Dude had the Fish & Chips, & I had the Fresh Caught Fish of the Day Plate which was swordfish today. They had live music & a mini-hula lesson for tourists. We were also able to see a partial sunset through some thick clouds near the horizon. We were also watching the high surf coming in off of a large south swell; it was too dark to get any good photos. 


Pineapples for smoothies.
Fish & Chips.
Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Plate.
Fresh Caught Fish of the Day Plate.

The little planter out in back.

Some criminals are not very smart. Today a guy on Hawaiʻi Island tried to get away from police by jumping in to Kailua Bay & trying to swim away. It was caught on video by some tourists.


Last night I got an email asking for MRC volunteers to help staff one of the surge test sites for COVID-19. I responded that I could help tomorrow with data entry. So far I have only gotten an email confirming that they got the message that I can help tomorrow.& saying an additional email will be sent with details about where to meet along with task information. I will be getting up early to see whether I am still needed.


I discovered that I have 100 posts that I have started but have not completed. What this means is that I started writing material but never published the post. I also discovered that for 31 of them I had completed the writing & started to add the photos! I think I shall go back & finish off at least those 31 where I was so close to finishing that I had added the photos. I like to post them chronologically rather than sequentially, I have heard if you read this blog regularly the most current ones I post will pop up first. The 31 with photos are mainly from May and July; it was during Sarah's visits when I was very busy with other things. The others stretch as far back as late last year.


Last night I was looking at some plant listings on Craigslist. I know I really shouldn't be doing that until I move back so that the plants have a better chance at surviving. But I also feel like I should be getting things in the ground so when I move back I have some more mature plants to work with. it's a dilemma. Here's what I was looking at last night.

I have never seen a white one before.
Iris.
Lilikoi.
Marungay.

The Aix weather app forecast partly cloudy morning skies here turning to rain in the mid-afternoon; that didn't happen. For Kapaʻau it forecast rain during the daylight hours & it looked like that was not what happened. The Marysville traffic cam that I have been using appears to be out of commission right now so I grabbed screen shots from the next nearest traffic cam. The app forecast rain beginning just before lunch & continuing throughout the evening; it did not appear that happened.

Kaimukī looking westerly at 9:18 a,m,
Honomū looking northeasterly at 9:19 a.m.
Still not working.
Marysville looking southerly at 9:20 a.m. HST.
Nā Koʻolau at 6:23 p.m.
On the way to airport, looking westerly, at 6:33 p.m.

Hurricane Linda is still quite strong with sustained winds of around 100 mph; it is still in the Eastern Pacific region. It is predicted to remain at hurricane force through Wednesday. Currently Linda is moving westerly at about 9 mph & is predicted to cross in to the Central Pacific region late Thursday night.



There was a magnitude 7.1 earthquake in the South Sandwich Iaslands; it did not generate a tsunami. But even if it did, it would not affect us.


I am always amazed by people who do not believe in science; like this fellow. The Cardinal is a vaccine skeptic & believes the best defense against getting COVID-19 is "a relationship with Jesus Christ." He now has COVID-19 & is on a ventilator; I guess his relationship was not as solid as he thought it was.  When I hear of things like this, I wonder, if someone believes God created Man, why is it impossible to believe that God created smart Men who go on to create things like a highly effective vaccine in record time?


There were 539 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 51,739.


I have adjusted the order in which I present the graphics from the Department of Health and HIEMA; the health department graphics are now shown first; I think they present a better, more easily understood graphic representation of what's happening in the state. 


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Michael, Gwen, & Joyce!

No comments:

Post a Comment