Monday, August 2, 2021

Recharging Day

Dave sent out an all hands email out this morning; I saw it quite a bit later since I did not get on my laptop until the afternoon. But I would not have been able to help anyway; I slept in. My body was telling me I needed to slow down so I listened to it this morning; I am no use to anyone if I keep pushing until I trigger a fibromyalgia attack & end up sleeping for 3 days, then being somewhat out of it for another few days. Over the years I have found it much better to heed the warning signs & be proactive about getting the rest I need before I crash & burn uncontrollably!


I made another mizuna proothie this morning; though it was not really for breakfast. It was more like a lunch proothie. I have enough mizuna for one more proothie.


I used the last of the Organic Milled Flax & Chia Blend in my proothie today. I will now be trying Raw Hemp Seeds. They have a slightly different nutritional panel; unfortunately it is not easy to compare since they base the info they provide on different serving sizes. The flax & chia is per 1 tablespoon serving while the hemp is for a 3 tablespoon serving. So I have to either multiply the flax & chia nutritional information by 3 (easier to do in my head) or divide the hemp by 3 (to give amount per Tbsp which is the serving size that I use). Here's how the flax/chia & hemp compare per Tbsp: calories 60 flax/chia v 57 hemp, total fat 4g v 5g, saturated fat 0g v 0.5g, trans fat 0g v 0g, polyunsaturated fat 3g v 3.7g, monounsaturated fat 1.5g v 0.5g, cholesterol 0 mg v 0 mg, sodium 0 mg v 0 mg, potassium 50 mg v 120 mg, total carbs 4g v 1g, dietary fiber 4g v 0.3g (net carbs 0g v 0.7g), sugars 0g v 0g, protein 2 g v 3 g, Vitamin C 6% v 0%, calcium 4% v 0%, iron 6% v 5%, and magnesium 10% v 16.7%. So almost the same. I will now have to see how the hemp compares in taste & consistency of the final product. Another factor is availability; I can get the flax/chia blend at any Longs Drugs/CVS including on Hawaiʻi Island, while I have only found the raw hemp seed at Kokua Market.


While I was getting ready to make my proothie I noticed the kitchen floor was a little sticky in a few places. I used a bunch of Lysol disinfecting wipes that were on the counter next to the sink to wipe down the kitchen floor. When I went to wash my hands off before getting back to making my proothie, I found a broken McDonalds cup in the sink. I remembered seeing it on the top shelf of the refrigerator the evening before filled with orange juice, looking like a booby trap for an unsuspecting roommate. I checked the fridge, it was gone. I double-checked with The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes later in the evening when he got back from work; he was the victim of the booby trap as he was getting ready to leave for work. He managed to clean up most of the spilled cup of juice but since he already had his socks on he did not feel the just slightly sticky spots that I was able to find with my bare feet.


I saw Keala jumping around in the cat run as I was preparing my proothie. She looked like she was on the hunt for another lizard. But she came up empty this time.


For dinner I heated up the Almond & Coriander Crusted Cauliflower & added a can of tuna & some sweet chili sauce. It was pretty good.


Sarah was scheduled to be released from the hospital today. I have not heard any news on how that went & where she is. I am anxiously awaiting news from Evan.

Today is Day 4 of the wildfire on Hawaiʻi Island; currently at least 50,000 acres have been burned. So far 2 homes have been destroyed in Puʻukapu Hawaiian Homestead but the evacuation orders for Pu'ukapu, Waiki'i, & Waikoloa have been lifted. FYI The fire is about 30 miles southeast of Kapaʻau; my house is in no danger.

The middle smoke plume is at about same location as fire icon on 1st graphic.


The Aix weather app forecast only partly cloudy skies here for today; they started out very wrong. The rain woke me up about 3 this morning.

Looking out window at rain at 3:07 a.m.
In Kaimukī looking westerly at 3:39 p.m.

At Waikoloa looking northerly at 3:39 p.m.
From Canada-France-Hawaiʻi Telescop looking north-northwesterly at 3:39 p.m.
Honomu looking northeasterly at 3:40 p.m. I think this is closest to Kapaʻau weather.

Hurricane Hilda is still in the Eastern Pacific but is slowly heading towards the Central Pacific area & is expected to cross the boundary on Saturday evening. There is a lot more activity going on in the Eastern Pacific. Tropical Depression 9-E looks like it won't be crossing over in to the Central Pacific.


Dr. Mike Hansen has a new COVID-19 video out with information about the Delta variant. I think you might find this very interesting. He discusses the differences between the original virus and this variant. An important piece of information is that the original virus was about as contagious as someone with the common cold, infecting about 2 other people on average. On the other hand the Delta variant is more contagious, with each infected person infecting about 8 or 9 more people. 😲 No wonder the number of new cases is going through the roof! At the last report on July 20th, about 55% of new cases here in the state were caused by the Delta variant.


There were 365 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 43,227. There were no new deaths reported so the death toll remains 537; currently there are 3,535 cases considered active. As of today 1,762,608 vaccines have been administered providing the state with a 60.3% fully vaccinated population and about 67.2% having received at least one dose of vaccine. Currently, 90% of the 145 COVID-19 patients that have been hospitalized are NOT vaccinated, with 24 in the ICU & 17 on ventilators.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Heavy & Johnetta!

No comments:

Post a Comment