Friday, August 13, 2021

Throat Still Sore

My throat was still sore today but getting better; I worked 5 hours today making first calls for OmniTrak. Maybe with the day off in between, by Sunday I might be able to do a full 8 hours again. Today I called 41 people & talked to 10. Of those I was able to interview, there were 6 vaccinated people (60%); 1 each had the Johnson & Johnson and Moderna vaccines (17%) and 4 had the Pfizer vaccine (67%). Two were too young to be vaccinated (20%).

As I got on to the freeway this morning, I was stopped by traffic just after I had moved over to the center lanes on my way in to work. It was creeping along so I texted Dave to let him know I was probably going to be a little late; I was, by about 10 minutes. It turns out it was a 3-car pile up in the far left lane; a Porsche rear-ended a car & was itself rear-ended by a small pick-up truck.

The HPD patrol car in photo passed me just a couple minutes earlier.

As usual, for lunch I went to Water Drop. And had the usual Stir-Fried Vegetables with Tofu, etc. But today there was a line out the door! I have never gone to lunch right at 12 noon, which is what I did today; perhaps this is the usual for the 12 noon crowd.


While I was waiting in line at Water Drop, I noticed the cold case that was next to the one they kept the drinks in. It was filled with vegan substitutes for animal protein by a company called Verisoy. I could not find their website but I did find that Amazon carries a lot of their products.


After work, I went on a search for Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa; it is a Chinese herbal medicine for sore throats & works amazingly well! In Washington I would get it at the Everett Mekong Grocery Store. I found it on Amazon last night but I thought I could get it faster at Don Quijote. Unfortunately, DQ does not carry it. So it looks like Amazon might be the fastest way to get it because I do not know Chinatown well enough to know where there is a Chinese herbalist that might carry it.


Since I couldn't find the Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa I bought some cough drops. They'll help when I don't need to talk but I won't be able to use them when I am on the phone. I also got some Throat Coat tea; but again, I will only be able to use it between phone calls. 


I did not find the Nin Jiom Oei Pa Koa but I did find the source of all the pigeons around Don Quijote. As I was leaving DQ I went by the corner where there were a very large amount of pigeons; someone must be feeding them there.


For dinner I had leftover pork riblet soup from last night, along with some of the noodles from lunch today.

The Aix weather app forecast rain here in the morning, then partly cloudy; it seemed to be accurate. There was rain in the morning that woke me up but cleared up nicely by the time I got to work & when I was walking round for lunch. I did not check any of the web cams so I do not know how it did on forecasting the weather in Kapaʻau or Marysville.

Drizzle in Kaimukī at 7:52 a.m.
Clouds but no rain in Kaimukī at 8:36 a.m.

As I was in the middle of one call, Dave came around & showed a note to everyone; there were 1,167 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases to 49,564. Auē! The health department rep said this is because of the reporting glitch earlier in the week; I sure hope that is really all this is & not another surge in cases! Whatever it is, the average of the last 3 days is about 730 new cases per day; which is better than 1100 but not as good as 20.


There was also 1 new death reported today, bringing the death toll up to 547; currently 7327 cases are considered active. As of yesterday, there were 1,797,402 doses of vaccine administered, making 61.2% of the population fully vaccinated; 68.9% have received at least one dose of vaccine. The 7-day new case average for Oʻahu is 404 with a positivity rate of 8.2%. 


No comments:

Post a Comment