Saturday, May 2, 2020

Forgot My Routine

My throat was sore again when I got up; not sure what's up with that. But I gargled with warm salt water and decided to get up and go walking in spite of it. Got out of the house a little late. Remembered to take the keys, I forgot them yesterday when I went out to do the banking & shopping; good thing The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes is working from home! But forgot my water bottle today! Got out the door a little late, so everything was a little later.
Sunrise! And just leaving the house; a little later than usual.

On the drive up I saw Calvin the Recycler heading back home. As I was parking CNA Aladin was walking in from the bus stop; it was nice to see him! I thanked him for the good work they are doing with Dad & the other kūpuna and asked him to let the other staff know. During my walk I saw Wolf at the start of the walk and Ken with Toto & Chico at the end of my walk.
Four minutes after sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Thirteen minutes after sunrise on Maunalani.

I saw several changes on my walking route. The reroofing at Maunalani is coming along; will have photos of that tomorrow. There's a new gate at Wilts' house on the west side. A lot has happened in the last 5 weeks at the Lanipoko house! It is going to have a spectacular view.
New gate at Wilts' house.
New construction on the circle.
The Lanipoko house.

As I was leaving, I saw Lynnette with Mary & Noe as they passed the driveway. Later, as I was working on the hāpuʻu, Yan walked by with Lucky. Then as I was headed down, I saw Stef! I stopped & we had a brief talk; it was so good to see her out walking! If I had been on time, I would not have seen all these friends.

The hāpuʻu looked like it was doing good even though it was a little dry; Kelly had been using the hose yesterday and had not hooked it back up; another 2-way splitter is needed for the faucet. The lilikoi was crawling over the top of the wall and beginning to twine around the hāpuʻu so I unwound it and pushed it back over the wall. The plumeria was looking much better! It dropped all its old leaves and the new ones were rust-free! It also had a lot of flowers.
There are 5 new fronds starting to emerge.


My birding is getting rusty after this 5-week layoff. I was not as quick in identifying the sounds of the birds though visually I was almost as fast and accurate a before. Or at least, that's what I tell myself. Because, how do I really know that I got it right? It's just me checking on me, so I can tell myself I got it right when I might be way off. Aue! The dilemma of a self-aware being!

Later in the morning I picked up our first Farm to Car order! They have both fresh produce and value added items. We ordered Tahitian lime ginger jelly, pickled ogo, papaya salad kit, Maui lavender glazed almonds, free range organic eggs, blueberry cream cheese scones, and avocados. The Roommates and I are much luckier than many people; 2 out of the 3 of them have continued to be employed and the 3rd has just been hired for a new job.
Approaching the Farm to Car pick up site.
There are 2 stations for people to pick up their order.
A volunteer gets your order number & relays it to others who  bring your order & place it in the car.
And you get to keep the bag it came in!
Here's what we got on our 1st order.
This is what was in the little bag on the lower left. It was delicious!

Even before the stay at home order, I would try to bundle my errands together and try to make only one trip out each day. Today the plan was to bundle trips to the credit union, City Mill, and Kokua Market together with the Farm to Car pick up. I didn't make it to the credit union; the line was still long; it is now on the list for Monday when I need to take the car in to the dealer which is about a block away. While they are working on it I will stand in line.

City Mill was really busy! I think may be people are finding repairs that are needed or they are taking care of projects that they never had time for before. The parking lot was full and so was the store; there was a long line to checkout which was even longer with the 6 feet physical distancing needed.



I forgot to plug the car in yesterday; its a good thing its a hybrid! I was mainly running off the gas engine today, on the way back it was charging on the way down the hill! I also filled up the car.



After talking with Jessie this morning I added another trip to Don Quijote to pick up hand sanitizer for her since DQ was on the way to the Farm to Car pick up site. I saw signs today that I had not seen yesterday. But I didn't see any hand sanitizer today. Or hand wipes. But I was able to get a pack of disposable masks for Jessie.



While waiting in line at Don Quijote I saw Christmas candy on sale! It's May! It's 7 months 'til Christmas! I am wondering if this is candy from last year since it is on sale now.   
Candy canes?
Twix-mas?
Why do they make candy look like an alcoholic beverage?

After I picked up my Farm to Car purchase, I stopped at Kokua Market to pick up other things that Farm to Car did not have. I bought mainly keto-friendly snacks that they have started carrying. Because Kokua is a smaller business it has approached the physical distancing differently; appealing to members for help.


I think I'll see what this is like.
The keto-friendly items I picked up today.
I'm making chili with this next week.

While I was at Kokua I spoke with Abdul about dropping off more pomelo for them; he was delighted to get more. I dropped them off later in the day; while I was there I picked up a couple items at the deli. I tried their Brisket with Cabbage and Guava Smoked Eggplant for lunch; they were both excellent!
L to R: Brisket with Cabbage, Guave Smoked Eggplant.

Later in the afternoon I was texting with my friend Leslie; she is recovering from COVID-19 and had read my post a couple days about having a sore throat.She said, "I started with a sore throat then a headache a runny nose and a horrible horrible cough. If you start with a dry hacky cough go in and get tested please!" As we continued with our texting she wondered if I had the air conditioning going at night; which I have been. For the pas couple days when I have been experiencing the dry throat! Dr. Leslie figured out my problem!

Just before dinner I put the papaya salad together. When I opened up the little container with the dressing there were a lot of chile flakes in there; the ingredients list said nothing about chile flakes! It was a little spicy for me but it was good! The Roommates all liked it; we'll probably get another one on our next order.
The kit.
The contents.

There's a lot more chile in there than it says on the label!
The completed salad.

DT was cleaning up the desk in his room. I moved a large ceramic cat that I had picked up in Mexico out to the living room. Keala found the pink ribbon the cat was wearing too tempting; she started pulling on it. Before I could get ovr there to remove the ribbon, she pulled hard enough for the cat to fall over! Aue!


I had been feeling a little guilty about going back to Kohala at the start of the stay-at-home order even though I consider it my home. But after seeing several people on the news, on Facebook, and on other live streams, it looks like a lot of other people around the world who were able to, traveled to get home to do their stay-at-home time with family. And although there is physically more family here, Kohala is more my home than here. Like I told Mike the tax guy, I am like a college student who has a permanent residence somewhere else, but is in the current location because of school. In my case, it is because of my POA duties.

There was 1 new COVID-19 case reported today, bringing the total of known cases to 620. The number of fatalities and people requiring hospitalization has remained the same and those recovering has increased to about 86%. About 2.3% of the population has been tested.







No comments:

Post a Comment