Monday, May 11, 2020

Thwarted

I started to put up the 2nd layer of shade cloth for the cat run. I measured the area to be covered, got out the weed cloth, measured it, cut it, cut the strings to the proper length, then went to collect the tools I needed. The 1st item was the staple gun; the most important tool for this project. I couldn't find it; things in the cabinet had been rearranged. I asked The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes and he thought it was in the cabinet also. He texted The Potential Most Favorite Roommate to see if he knew where it was. He got a response back when The Potential Most Favorite Roommate was on his lunch break; he knew where it was but it was now too hot to work on the south side of the house. It will be the early morning project for tomorrow.
Before.
Keala helps me measure out the weed cloth.
Materials are ready to go.

I made my car rental reservation for May 29th, my first day out of quarantine. They had been announcing that people in quarantine would not be allowed to rent cars during their quarantine period; I found not notices on the Alamo website about that even after I got my confirmation number and email. I wonder how they are going to do that?
The per week price is different but the total is the same. Huh?
Midsize car Pay Now price.
Midsize car Alamo Insider Price. They give you a great big $8.12 discount!
The prices are almost the same for most of their cars.
Why does the economy car cost more than a larger car?
The confirmation email still says nothing about the quarantine.

While I was online, I checked the UPS tracking website; the air filter I ordered from Smart Air is still in Hong Kong. I put in a request to get notifications as it is on its journey.


I also read the blog post; "The Risks - Know Them - Avoid Them," by Erin Bromage, a Comparative Immunologist and Professor of Biology (specializing in Immunology) at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth. He starts out wondering why people are breathing a sigh of relief at the upcoming re-openings because, "There are very few states that have demonstrated a sustained decline in numbers of new infections. Indeed, as of May 3rd the majority are still increasing and reopening. As a simple example of the USA trend, when you take out the data from New York and just look at the rest of the USA, daily case numbers are increasing. Bottom line: the only reason the total USA new case numbers look flat right now is because the New York City epidemic was so large and now it is being contained." He goes on to explain, using specific examples, how SARS-CoV-2 spreads, which then gives you information on how to minimize your chances of becoming infected. The bottom line is that: Successful Infection = Exposure to Virus x Time. It's worth reading.


For lunch I had my leftovers from dinner last night. Since my prime rib was rare, heating it up in the microwave did not totally ruin it and overcook it.
 

Leslie sent me a text this morning. She said, "Forgot to send you a pic on Saturday. Still need a diverter to switch to the handshower. There is one in the pic, it's temporary until the other comes in." I will have to try out the outdoor shower when I get there!

I also forgot to mention another Saturday happening. In the morning I got a call from Laurel's husband Bill; he was at Sunshine True Value. He was picking up the red lava rock for me; I gave my credit card number to Junior. Bill dropped the bags off near the gas tank. Junior said there is another load due in next week; Bill will check and if its we will do the same routine again!

On the news tonight they had a piece about a middle school student on the Big Island who set up an online market for farmers in the Waimea and Waikoloa areas of the Big Island. Its called Paʻina by Ocean. I think I'll see if I can order something when I am there.
Ocean (R) is the middle school student who started Paʻina by Ocean.

There were 2 new cases of COVID-19 reported today bringing the total up to 634 known cases. There were no new mortalities or hospitalizations.



Almost 2.7% of the population has now been tested.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Kathleen, Esther, & Alan!

No comments:

Post a Comment