Saturday, May 23, 2020

Pehea ke Anilā?

How is the weather? My bedroom window looks towards the south and sometimes it looks promising. But when I walk in to the kitchen I look northerly out that window, across the ʻAlenuihāhā Channel. If I look northeasterly I can see what kind of weather is being funneled through the area; sometimes it looks quite different than what I saw when I was lying in bed. Today was not too different; it looked like it would still be a decent day.
The Saffron Finch woke me up 31 minutes before sunrise.
I got out of bed forty-six minutes after sunrise.
Looking out the kitchen window forty-nine minutes after sunrise.

So I decided to pick limes. I discovered the Aikane Nursery folks have cut even more of the low hanging branches; I am not pleased with them. I specifically told Brandon & Greg not to cut the lower branches; now I have to be at the top of the 6-foot step ladder to harvest the calamansi! I called, could not get anyone, so I left a message requesting a meeting as soon as possible; I told them I am not authorizing any further tree work until we meet in person (again). I also requested that Greg respond to me about when they will be here to deliver & spread the mulch for the anthuriums and assist with the hāpuʻu moving.
I took me a while to get this bucketful since I had to move the ladder.
Washing the limes.
Drying in the dishrack.

While I was out picking calamansi, Delphin pulled up next door. He was getting ready to do some yard work at his son's house. He said he had smelled whatever was dead in the back earlier in the week when he was mowing; he said it seemed to be close to our common property corner but he did not see anything. He said he didn't really spend much time looking in the pasture because it was so smelly he just wanted to get away from there! I went back after he left; I could not find anything and I also couldn't smell anything either. I was alert all day for those offensive smells, I vaguely smelled it only once very briefly. So may be it was dragged away by another critter or the wet but warm weather hastened its decomposition, decreasing the smell. Whatever happened, I am glad I no longer smell it!

First thing this morning, even before I got out the door to pick the limes, I got a response regarding my COVID-19 self-quarantine exemption request. It stated, in part, "This confirms that the following traveler may break self-quarantine while acting as a caregiver to the person identified below ... This limited exemption only allows the traveler identified to break self-quarantine for the sole purpose of conducting the authorized activities listed above. ... The individual named above must wear face coverings and adhere to all social distancing requirements while not in self-quarantine, per sections III.D. and IV. of the Governor's May 18, 2020 Eighth Supplementary Proclamation. ... Vehicle rental authorization. Operations that rent vehicles under section III.A.16. of the Proclamation may rent to the individual named above for transport to and from their self-quarantine location and medical or health care location. ... They must also carry a copy of this e-mail to present to airport screeners and law enforcement. ... Once you've booked your return travel to Kona, please email this account again to request permission to break quarantine when you return to Kona. ... Mahalo ... This e-mail is not an authorization, exemption, confirmation, or approval of any kind unless expressly stated above." This will make my self-quarantine time less onerous since I can leave to do things for Dad. But it looks like every time I travel I will need to apply for the exemption. I wonder what I am allowed to do when I return to the Big Island since Dad is not here and this is my residence I am returning to? I guess I will find out on the return trip.

After picking the limes, I worked on putting down the last piece of weed cloth at the base of the gas tank. There were a lot of rocks there! But I got it done, now I just need the red lava rock to hold down the weed cloth and protect it from the UV; this new roll is not as sturdy as the previous material I got.
Before.
After. I'm keeping the fern at the end of the tank.

While I was out in the back looking for the dead thing, I noticed that the 'olena has started to sprout again. I laid the old stakes around it in case Masa comes by to mow the lawn before I am out of quarantine and can get more stakes to properly mark it off limits.


Laurel had texted about then, asking where Sir Purr was. He has been hiding under the couch in the living room. I only know he's there because the food is gone in the morning and there is stuff in the litter box. I checked when I got in and he was in the same place as before.
He wasn't looking at me so you can't really see him.

About lunch time the weather started to change. Clouds began to move in. There was a really light drizzle for about 15 minutes or so. But, for the most part, it was just overcast. The Energy Usage graph on the Tesla app showed a marked decrease in solar energy after noon; overall 17.4 kWh were produced today. That's less than yesterday but more than either Tuesday or Wednesday when there was a lot more precipitation.


Organizing the project table went much quicker than I anticipated, once I found some small boxes to sort things in to. And once I had all the little items corralled in boxes, clearing things off the top of the table was easy. And it was also light enough I could move it myself since I already added slider feet before I started using it as a project table.
Before.
After boxing everything up.
Before.
After.

After I completed organizing the table it was looking so good I continued, moving the TV stand that I have been using as a getabako and the chair that was at the project table. The getabako is now in the front bedroom along with the project table; the chair is temporarily supporting the lamp that I have on a timer to light up the living room at night.


From there it was on to vacuuming the  floor and deep cleaning the area from the front door to the hallway with the Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner. I also moved my bike & trainer so I could clean that part of the floor that is closest to the living room windows. I really like how the Bona perks up the floor!


But before I ran the vacuum, I called Laurel to see how Sir Purr was about vacuums. I would be running it on the opposite side of the room from where he is hiding. Though she said he really isn't hiding; he usually is under a bed during the day and comes out at night. She suggested tonight I sleep with my bedroom door open and see if he invites himself in. He has to pass my door on his way to the bathroom to get to his food bowl & the litter box.

After dinner I found a mirrored vase that I used to keep in the corner of my desk at work. I used it and another regular flat mirror in the opposite corner to make the space in my cubicle appear larger. I put the mirrored vase on the floor of the porch so when I am at the front door trying to surreptitiously take photos of Mom Cat & Wiley I can see if they are walking up the ramp without them seeing me. I hope it works and doesn't spook them.


There was 1 new COVID-19 case today, bringing the total known cases up to 643. There were no new deaths or hospitalizations. Almost 92% of people are now out of isolation.






Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Ruby! It is also the 3rd Hoʻomanao of my Ellipsis Jetpack hotspot! I originally got it to provide Internet access while here; and even though I now have hard-wired Internet access it has come in handy. Like last week when the hard-wired Internet went out, I also use it at the airport while I am waiting for my flight to board.

No comments:

Post a Comment