Sunday, May 17, 2020

Loaner Cat

Sir Purr, the loaner cat, arrived today; Bill brought him over just before lunch. He is a big black formerly feral cat that adopted Bill & Laurel when they had their shop in Kona. He is named after the NFL Carolina Panthers mascot. Bill says he is a good hunter and leaves piles of bodies to be admired the following morning. For today, he mainly stayed under the furniture in the living room; I closed off all the bedrooms and sewing room to him for now.
It's a good thing he was looking towards me so you can see him!

The Northern Cardinal is following in the wingbeats of the Saffron Finch in being persistent about starting his songs well before sunrise. And once again, I turned over and went to sleep for another half hour or so.
Thirty-five minutes before sunrise.
Fifteen minutes after sunrise.
Dawn from the kitchen window.

My back was still a little tight when I got up this morning; I think it is because of the extension motion while using the Bona mop. Since it is not as heavy as the vacuum my back does not feel as sore; but I decided to take it easy and not spread the red lava rock today since that would involve lifting the bags and moving them in to place. I will be here for much longer so there will be enough time to get that done. Instead, I worked on unpacking the boxes along the south living room wall; this is the route the new refrigerator will be taking to get from the front door to the kitchen. Because of the 8 stairs and narrow width for the back door, the accessible front door, that also has a ramp, is the better alternative for whomever will be delivering it from Hakoda's.


I found some interesting stuff while sorting and unpacking; which always slows me down. Like this old-style hanging scale. With a bag of beans; not sure what kind of beans they are. And they might not even be beans, just seeds of some sort.


I wasn't sure what to label the box; I settled on this.

What was really interesting was the old newspapers used to line the box they were in; one was from April 27th, the other from the 28th, of 1966! It was The Hawaii Times; a local Japanese-English newspaper that ceased operation in 1985. Those 2 days worth of news were like a time capsule, with articles about Duke Kahanamoku, the capture of Major Charles Boyd, the Civil Rights Act of 1966, the Beatles, the Vietnam War, the use of an artificial heart, and the selection of Sapporo to host the 1972 Winter Olympics. And Pan Am was still flying!








And these plates that Grandma collected as she traveled across the US visiting her children and grandchildren.


I ate the guava from yesterday with my lunch. It was delicious! I hope there are more of them before I leave again.



The Neighborhood Security Watch sent out another drone photo. This time it was of the Circle Jade building in Kaimukī town.
(Photo by Elliott Wong)

I took a longer than normal nap after lunch. I wanted to give Sir Purr a big opportunity to explore the house. But he didn't. Later, as I was going to the kitchen to start dinner I noticed that there was a Gold Dust Day Gecko walking through the living room; I warned it about Sir Purr.



I got an email from Tricia regarding the Safe Travels online quarantine check-in site. Apparently the program currently does not allow for multiple quarantines; she is sending a note to the developer to fix that. I guess when they built it the intent was for visitors from out-of-state who would only be making one trip and not for inter-island travelers making multiple trips. I guess I am the 1st one to let them know it doesn't work for more than one quarantine?

There was 1 new COVID-19 case reported today, bringing the total up to 640. There were no new deaths or hospitalizations. Almost 90% of the people who tested positive are now out of isolation.


Cases within the last 28 days.


About 3% of the population has been tested.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Gary!

No comments:

Post a Comment